1899 Indian Head with "what in the world happened?"

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by frans ferdinand, Dec 21, 2015.

1. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Pot calling the kettle black?

It could reasonably be argued that urging someone to waste upwards of $100, based upon pure unfamiliar assumption, is infinitely more "rude and nasty" than what little I said to you.

Do you know the OP? If not, you don't know his financial situation and/or if he can afford to toss that amount of money down the drain. Have a little respect.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

I'll show respect when you do.... why don't you familiarize with that... And you obviously do not understand because you show nothing but snotty comments to everyone here on CT... perhaps you should look in the mirror.

4. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Charlie, sit down, relax, have a sandwich, drink a glass of milk, do some freaking thing, will you? Books is right, this coin is a burnout. You don't like that opinion, we don't need these personal accusations, calculated at stirring things up. You have a problem with a member, click the report link, that's why they put it there.

5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I agree. The grading services are not going to tell you anything. It would be a waste of money.

6. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

NO, NO, NO. I have heard there is an Internet site that people can use to ask for donations. Post a photo of your "rare error" with a "good" story from comments above; and ask for money to get it certified. Then the believers can donate + all the others on the web. You'll probably get enough to buy a genuine $20 1907 HR!

7. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

IMO, absolute nonsense. They will call it "ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE", slab it, and deposit your check after passing it around for all to see.

8. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Would you spend the $90 for grading and error fees?

9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Mike, I think that's covered in my health insurance policy. I got the policy through the health insurance marketplace, so it has something to do with the market, I know that. If I were claiming, I'd just point out how stressed I am. They might cover it after I pay my $6,000,000 deductible.

10. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

You're the last person on this forum who could rightly criticize me for so-called "snotty comments", but since you can't justify your position on the coin, I suppose deflection is the only option.

This isn't about your opinion, Charlie; it's about suggesting to this fellow that submitting to PCGS will get him an answer ("tell them to set a day aside"), and basing said suggestion on nothing more than an assumption. If this guy unwisely follows your advice and submits, if it comes back as the "mint error" you think it to be, I'll pay the fees... but if not, and turns out to be the waste of time and money a few have now suggested, will you reimburse him? If not then please, don't suggest others do with their money what you're unwilling to do with yours.

11. charlietig

Reported... enough said

12. charlietig

I've been doing that for awhile.... just as I have done with you... both of you bring the morale down of CT by your sarcastic and nasty comments, both of you are pathetic and I have had it.... both of you are now blocked

13. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

If you are this whiney and thin-skinned at 18, you will be a real joy at 65.

eddiespin likes this.
  14. charlietig

You mean 70.... oops, my bad..

15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It's actually possible that PCGS would not even holder the coin or give any opinion.

16. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Both of you - knock it off !

If you either of you has something to say about the coin, then say it. But this personal crap ends now !

17. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Yes, boss.

18. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

My theory.. the coin became coated with something, maybe melted asphalt in a fire, maybe paint, and then buried. The coating cracked, and acidic groundwater leached through the cracks to etch the surface. Later the coating was cleaned off.

19. charlietig

What he said ^

Kentucky likes this.
  20. SeberHusky

SeberHusky Member

God knows where it came from. BUT for what it's worth, I uncovered a few of my childhood cars from my backyard with a metal detector back in 2009.

After a decade underground, they were intact, but once I exposed the cold metal that had been about a foot underground in the spring to hot water and soap, the paint started bubbling and the diecast metal did in a few places as well. The cars felt like a stucco ceiling after they dried.

If the coin was an old metal detector relic, it might be soil acids that affected the weak 1800s metal and kind of ate at it and left those patterns behind (like tree or grass roots?). I do know the soil under pine trees has super high acid content from decaying needles and sap, which is why grass can't grow there. If it was on commercial land for a large business, you know how much fertilizer gets put into that grass.

Draft saved Draft deleted