1899 Indian Head with "what in the world happened?"

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by frans ferdinand, Dec 21, 2015.

1. RBBDoughty

RBBDoughty Author, President Oklahoma Numismatic Association

What you see on your coin is PMD and would not be acceptable for grading. But if you send it in, please keep us posted.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Take the thing or get someone to take the thing to a major show. There you will find people like Rick Snow, Fred Weinberg, Chris Pillod, etc. (pardon the spellings) who will examine it for free.

Again, IMO it is a fire coin. Very neat and interesting; yet worth very little as it's considered a "cull"...damaged coin.

4. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

If I had to guess, it was once lacquered, then the lacquer cracked, then it was soaked in an acid to remove the lacquer. Since the lacquer was cracked, the surface of the coin was exposed in certain areas and the acid etched these groves as a result. Seems plausible anyway.

5. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

its possible you might even get a label. Here are 2 examples. I believe PCGS will reject at times too for altered/dmg even if the coin is authentic. Just a FYI in case you do submit.

not suitable.jpg
    reject.jpg

6. RBBDoughty

RBBDoughty Author, President Oklahoma Numismatic Association

The *second Chinese coin is a planchet defect - lamination. I also see some corrosion.

7. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

And that's simply your opinion....

britannia40 likes this.
  8. to work or stop at nothing to give the OP a definitive answer,

what does "OP" stand for?

9. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Original poster

10. oh. ok. well, thank you. i suppose using such terminology is useful to those joining the discussion without having to read the entire thread.
    would anyone care to give a best guess as to how much a grading process would cost for the 1899 through pcgs?

11. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

SERVICE PCGS GRADING FEE MAXIMUM
    COIN VALUE
    ESTIMATED TURNAROUND
    (Business Days)
    RARITIES
    $250 + 1%*
    None 2 - 5 days
    WALKTHROUGH $125 $100,000 2 days
    EXPRESS $60 $20,000 5 days
    REGULAR $32 $3,000 15 days
    ECONOMY(Non-Gold, Non-Hammered)
    (Pre-1932 Chinese and Pre-1925 Russian coins must be submitted at the Regular Service level or higher.) $20 $300 20 - 30 days

http://www.pcgs.com/servicesandfees/

12. thats a copy and paste, i asked for a best guess. i can go to pcgs and read it for myself.

13. so... under mint errors it would cost 60$ then ad on an additional 20.95 for postage. so that would be 80 bucks i suppose. thanks.

14. charlietig

Isn't a pocket change amount by any means by I think it is worth it. Very intrigued as to what this is...

15. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Chances are you will not get an explanation for the cause and will only get it in a details slab stating environmental damage or something of the like. I wouldn't spend the dough, but that's just me.

ldhair likes this.
  16. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

No, Charlie... it's not just an opinion; it's fact. They're not going to "set the day aside" for a damaged coin and it's a simple as that.

Then how about you cough up the $100, perhaps more, it is going to take to submit this one coin? You're certainly entitled to believe whatever you want about it, but don't mislead this guy. It's always easier to spend someone else's money.

17. thetracer

thetracer Active Member

Checking back in after Christmas. I like the idea of the fire stress on the coin. It is obvious that it is a metal issue after manufacture. Fire alters iron nails by turning them reddish and they don't ever rust after that. The metal of the IHC was effected by something, probably heat.
    And, probably found with a metal detector where a fire once took place.
    Dipping may make it cleaner, but not worth the expense of slabbing it.
    There are others out there. I found one and used it as my desktop wallpaper for a while. I can't find that image anymore.

18. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I agree. That coin isn't all it's cracked up to be. :)

Kentucky and thetracer like this.
  19. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow
    ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow

20. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

If I ever saw a coin that was made-to-order for a pun this one's it. :D

Kentucky likes this.
  21. charlietig

Why don't you quit being rude and nasty to members here on CT? And, "that's a fact".

A
    nd I do still suggest getting it graded.

Draft saved Draft deleted