1899 Indian Head with "what in the world happened?"

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by frans ferdinand, Dec 21, 2015.

1. hello again fellow coin nerds. here is a good old girl so ugly she's cute! it is strange and quite cool at the same time. the lines seem to meet and wrap around the edges. any idea as what in the hell could have caused this? acid would have damaged the overall details and not just the channels in this coin. i am not sure what came first, the channels or the strike? DSCN7311.JPG DSCN7312.JPG

swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

That is weird...with a die that cracked, I don't know what would hold it together.

4. i know right? i am wondering if the planchet was cold or defective when it was made and therefore weakened and cracked upon having the image pressed onto it?

5. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

those lines look recessed....or is it an optical illusion...maybe flawed planchet

6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Appears like someone applied a clear coat with a "crackling" additive used to simulate old surfaces on painted objects.

7. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

Looks like old clear nail polish

8. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

A survivor of the 1906 earthquake? Seriously, if indeed it is a product of the Mint, the strike would have extruded the features to smoothness, I would imagine. I believe that this occurred later in it's life.

9. i doubt that its nail polish or any thing topical. the lined are definitely etched into the coin like channels.

10. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I swear I've seen this before....

Kirkuleez likes this.
  11. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

Is it a struck through error?

12. yes, i posted this a long time ago and the discussion was pretty cool. i figured there would be different and new collectors who can shed some light or give a theory.

13. BooksB4Coins

14. BooksB4Coins

Sure... I don't see any harm in it; just looked very familiar. :)

15. i love this site! i have buy a lot of coins lately, pretty much each time i get paid. i will continue to bring them here if i think there might be a error or unusual attribute.

16. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

They made stuff like this to make furniture that was stripped back into an old piece "instantly"for the tourists to buy....

17. thetracer

thetracer Active Member

I have seen that before, if my memory serves me.
    They said it commonly happens with metal detector finds!

18. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Cut to the chase and send it to PCGS! Questions solved!

dwhiz likes this.
  19. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Oh - just thinking the way the coin looks glazed - I collect alot of old pottery and the old glazing, if applied and heated too fast, gets cracked - called crazing lines!

[​IMG]

thetracer likes this.
  20. thetracer

thetracer Active Member

Hey crazy, I think you are right! I have seen those lines on old dishes and it is that same sort of thing going, here, though, it must be with the weathering of the planchet.

Draft saved Draft deleted