1899 IHC RPD: Snow 2--plus something interesting

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by KurtS, Mar 5, 2015.

1. KurtS

KurtS Die variety collector

So I picked up this Snow-2 (RPD-002) the other day and saw something I didn't expect. It has the markers of the documented RPD (black arrows), plus something else is visible--a raised arc of metal just W of the "8" (white arrow).

[​IMG]

Here's a closeup of the mark in question--it's no artifact of the camera or lighting. It's visible at many angles and clearly raised and reflective.

[​IMG]

Here's another shot under my scope @ 50X. Even at this resolution--a curved, tapered arc coming to a point is seen--very indicative of a partially polished away RPD:

[​IMG]

I just assumed the mark in the lower loop of the "8" is repunching of the same loop. However, if you look closely, you will see it's a larger radius than the inner loop. So what if it's the LR outer loop of the 8? Interestingly, both marks fit very well to an 8/8 overlay as shown.

[​IMG]

Fortunately, the coin is in a good enough grade to preserve some interesting detail:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    Paddy54, tommyc03 and deacon2828 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. KurtS

Here’s one more overlay I think better explains what I’m seeing:

1. Shows how I’ve traced the approximate curves of the inside and outside lower loops of the 8.
    2. When the inside loop is put over the 8/8, the curve looks a little too tight, and it doesn’t match that other mark (white arrow).
    3. When the outside loop is put over the 8/8, it appears to fit the curve better, and the inside loop fits closely to that mark.

If that mark is the remnant of an RPD, I would go with 3. as being the more likely position of this 8/8.

[​IMG]

Phox and Seattlite86 like this.
  4. KurtS

Here's one last shot of the date, that better shows the relief of that mark W of the 8.

[​IMG]

5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Once again Kurt you have found something very interesting as well as cool. I like it

KurtS likes this.
  6. Phox

Phox New Member

I'm looking at one exactly the same,I'm trying to figure out how to put up a picteur

7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I think we got a conviction, it's #3. Another case solved through the science of forensic numismatics.

Draft saved Draft deleted