1899 British trade dollar

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by jerryc39, Oct 7, 2018.

1. jerryc39

jerryc39 Well-Known Member

What grade and value would you say? fullsizeoutput_218.jpeg fullsizeoutput_218.jpeg fullsizeoutput_217.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

I am not expert on these and maybe it is just the photos, but I would have to question whether that one is right?

Robert91791 likes this.
  4. jerryc39

Thanks for the reply. Not the best at photography

5. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Looks EF-AU. Probably $30-$40 range retail. Looks like an 1899-B. The mint mark is in top of the middle tine of the trident. B is Bombay (Mumbai now) and C is Calcutta. No mint mark is London.

jerryc39 and longshot like this.
  6. jerryc39

Thanks for that reply. Looked for mintmark and did not find one. If made in London is there any premium? Saw the last 3 ebay sold listings on this coin went for $80 to $100??

7. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I agree with EF-AU. I'd put the price higher if not cleaned, probably $50-60.

The only years for Calcutta were 1900-02. The mint mark is hard to see on these, but it's an incuse C at the lower left of the shield, which sometimes is blurred to a large dot by die wear. There are early dates without mint marks, but these were made in Bombay. Only the 1925 and 1930 were made in London.

jerryc39 likes this.
  8. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

All 1899 have the B mint mark. It could be indistinct due to striking, but it should be there. This is mine, on which you can see it clearly on the middle prong of the trident.

99bbtd-obv.jpg

9. jerryc39

It is a B Found the MM where yours is. Thanks for the help! Nice coin.

messydesk likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted