1899 Black Eagle... Improperly Stored?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Endeavor, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

I been really wanting to get one of these. Found one in a decent price for the grade, but the paper looks wrinkled. I can't imagine it would have been graded About Uncirculated if the paper was wrinkled prior to grading.

So do you think this was a result of being stored improper?

1899 Black Eagle

DUNK 2 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

Remember that the large-size notes were printed on damp paper (to keep the paper from tearing under the pressure of the intaglio plates) and then dried before the sheets were cut into single notes. So there are plenty of CU notes that show this kind of paper wave. Some collectors like it because it's a sign of originality; other collectors prefer notes that look flat like modern currency--though for large-size notes, flatness often indicates that the note has been washed and pressed.

4. lettow

lettow Senior Member

It is called paper wave and as indicated it was a result of the wet printing process.

Endeavor likes this.
  5. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

It's an awesome looking Note and the waves make it unique.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  6. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

These are two favorites in my collection. I picked them up raw about 6 years ago.

IMG_0534.JPG
    IMG_0535.JPG

7. MitchBailey

MitchBailey Active Member

That note is a dandy. As others have said, paper wave is the norm on those big old notes. The crease is what gave it the 53 I assume. At least it's not a dirty crease. I would make him an offer.

Dean 295 likes this.
  8. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I didn't see a "Make Offer" option, although I guess you could message the seller and try to communicate an offer. It's actually not a bad price for this Fr.232 in 53PPQ condition. Most sell for $300 and up with a *PQ designation.

moneycostingmemoney likes this.
  9. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

Wish I could have one.... PREETY :joyful:

10. Coinfrog

Coinfrog New Member

The note shows natural paper wave, which is fine but not the issue. The centering on both sides is poor - I would pass. Remember that centering, a critical issue in grading MS notes, is not a factor in grading circulated notes. This is well below-average.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  11. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

You will find a vast majority of notes from this era with centering issues
    Basically i try for a minimum grade of 53PPQ, this grade is usually easy
    On the eyes as well as the wallet, especially on the older notes as the
    Prices seem to go overboard from there.

12. moneycostingmemoney

moneycostingmemoney Yukon Coriolis

I do it all the time and have gotten great deals on stuff that has been floating about the bay for a while. Can't hurt to ask, right?
    Although I did have one guy respond with a "No. Please never contact me again." It made me go back and make sure I didn't miss a figure in the offer I presented. Nope, the guy must have been insulted. Oh well.

13. mpcusa

By all means, allot of times the seller will offer you some sort of discount all you
    have to do is ask :)

14. Coinfrog

Coinfrog New Member

You're right.

I do disagree, however, with @mpcusa's comment that the "vast majority of notes from this era have centering issues." Hardly so.

15. mpcusa

The sophistication of the printing was different so you will have less quality notes
    Out there, be it from centering issues or anything that has to do with the over all
    grade of the note.

Draft saved Draft deleted