1899 $5 Silver Certificate

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by scotts1, Aug 2, 2020.

1. scotts1

scotts1 Well-Known Member

I didn't buy this, but I saw it on Ebay and something about it just looks "off" to me. I'm curious to hear opinions from others more familiar with these than I am.
    s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Just looks like a well battered "rag" as they are called in this condition. @mpcusa @SteveInTampa ?

4. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

In my opinion, it appears to be a contemporary counterfeit.

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  5. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yeah, play money! :D

6. Penna_Boy

Penna_Boy Just a nobody from the past

Just looking at the condition would cause me to pass on it. However, I'm going to take a chance and say Bradley has it right. Looks off to me but I am no expert.

7. Corn Man

Corn Man Well-Known Member

Looks beat to hell So it will be hard to tell!

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The condition is a complete turn off.

9. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I’d need to see a better photo/scan. There are plenty of these low grade 1899 $5 notes on eBay. This series was printed for over 20 years and was a real workhorse in its day.

Dr Kegg likes this.
  10. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Looks like its been through the washer a couple hundred times ! but that's when
    you have to be careful, notes that have been artificially aged or in a beat up condition are hard to spot versus uncirculated ones, but very little value there
    or at best a filler until you get something better, which shouldn't be hard to do.

Dr Kegg likes this.
  11. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

It definitely looks tattered, and @mpcusa is right that a lot of times modern counterfeits are tried to be created to look like originals. The note appears to be (or was made to look like) a Fr. 271 due to Treasurer Roberts signature. But the way the note is folded/faded in spots but that signature is very clear leads me to suspect it could be a fake note. Of course until there are better pics, it is all a guessing game at this point.

mpcusa likes this.
  12. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

They give you just enough information, to keep you guessing !

13. scotts1

scotts1 Well-Known Member

Agreed, scans would be nice. Unfortunately those were the only pics. I was comparing it with this one (also not mine) that's in similar condition. Notice how the text on the bill in my original post looks much thicker, and it has a more "fuzzy" appearance. I actually never intended to buy this note, but I saw it because I was bidding on something else from the same seller and became curious about its authenticity. If it is fake, then somebody's out $125 + shipping!

Attached Files:

14. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Coming late to this thread but it is absolutely 100% fake.

NOS likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted