1898O Morgan

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by James Boat, Mar 5, 2021.

1. James Boat

James Boat Member

Hi - not a particularly valuable vintage, but I'm curious about grade and whether it appears to have been cleaned.

A lot of the Morgans I inherited have a very dull appearance. Does general dullness tend to suggest they have been cleaned? I have a number of 1898-O's that appear shiny/reflective. I'm trying to figure out if there's a dead giveaway to look for to determine the likelihood of a coin being cleaned - especially as it relates to Morgans.

Thank you in advance,

James 16149871296025216642556242874346.jpg 16149871647724925165305010555559.jpg

JeffC likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Look for the flow lines in the fields. And brother, that Morgan has some lovely flow lines. This is what is called luster. If you can identify the luster, you have a good coin. When coins are cleaned improperly or polished, the luster tends to disappear. You get a shiny field that is void of flow lines. That renders a coin as damaged. They look quite lifeless to me. Morgan’s absolutely can sport very lovely and reflective surfaces. Just look for the luster (flow lines) and you will be confident that you have a good coin.

4. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis Helpful? Click *Best Answer*! Supporter

5. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

+1 thats still a very nice morgan,MS and PL surfaces. Grade MS 63-64 with a PL reverse its worth $90 and up my opinion.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    James Boat likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted