1898 Morgan grade estimate

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Stevescoins, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Stevescoins

Stevescoins Active Member

Hello, I wanted to see what this coin might grade. Though a common year, I plan on slabbing it at some point and keeping it for my collection. My eyes like it. Thanks! CAM00412.jpg CAM00411.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Looks like most of the luster is gone so xf45 is my vote. Maybe au50 if there's some luster left. Might get a details for the black spots if they deem it dip residue

4. coin_analyst

coin_analyst Member

I'm on the XF train, but with gradeflation these days...

5. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

Steve, your photography is killing your coins. Do your photos reflect the in-hand appearance or is there more lustre? I'm thinking your lighting is too diffused?

Seattlite86 likes this.
  6. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

It's really hard to tell from the images. The coin looks dead in that light. I don't know if the surfaces are lacking luster or the light is so diffuse it's just not giving any specular highlights off of the luster.

7. Stevescoins

Stevescoins Active Member

Yeah, I'll work on it before the next post, and update posts when I perfect it. New camera is first, then lighting tweaking. Thanks!

8. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

What camera are you considering?

9. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

He's shooting with a relatively low-end 5MP smartphone (EXIF data is still present), and the images ain't bad for that. :)

I'm also on the "high EF" bandwagon, good for the fact that any original bagmarks and distractions have been mostly worn off. It illustrates the appeal of somewhat-circulated, formerly-baggy Morgans.

Draft saved Draft deleted