1898 Chinese dragon dollar

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by TommyP, Oct 24, 2016.

1. TommyP

TommyP BS detector

I trust the members opinions here quite a lot. In fact, I'm sure that if they say it is then it is a fake. I am just trying to further educate myself is all. I knew I couldn't have that kind of luck but when I saw the POSSIBILITY (with the description I saw in the link above), I had to ask and I knew someone here would know for sure (sooner rather than quicker). I know weight is a big factor but little else about detecting counterfeits. Appreciate the input. :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Weight is one thing, magnetism is also another.

The most accurate is probably a specific gravity test:
    http://www.johnbetts-fineminerals.com/jhbnyc/articles/specific_gravity.htm

Other than that, I would recommend reading up on how to detect counterfeit ANCIENT coins, as the same tactics are often used to counterfeit more modern issues.

4. TommyP

TommyP BS detector

Well, it's not magnetic. I'll read on. Thanks!

5. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

If I am not mistaken, the biggest flag is the legend itself. While Hupeh (Hubei) Province 7 mace and 2 candareens is common, Hunan Province 7 mace and 2 candareens essentially does not exist. There are excessively rare patterns but this is clearly not one of them. Details are just crude.

More importantly I am certain this is not silver. Counterfeiters have been smart and used nickel copper - hence this will pass the magnetic test.

6. TommyP

TommyP BS detector

i tried the magnet test and it didn't seem to attract. Will try a stronger magnet I guess. Thank you!

7. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

@TommyP I like your curiosity - you are on your way to becoming a coin authenticator! :happy:

PLEASE READ THE POST ABOVE AGAIN. There is absolutely no chance your coin is genuine. I tried to let you down easily right from the start as the design detail on the original image was not "mint quality." I applaud your curiosity to find out the reasons members said your coin is not authentic.

There three inevitable facts about coin authentication:

1. A fake has to be pretty crudely made to be detected using a photo alone. Your coin qualifies.

2. You will find over time that the number of members on all the forums all over the web who are competent to express useful opinions about fakes is very small. Most of the others are not as educated in that regard. Many of them post on Coin Talk. I'm not one of them; yet even I could tell the coin was a fake.

3. I've learned from some of these authenticators that the hard part of their job is to inform collectors that their piece is a fake; and then listen to them reply that the authenticator is nuts for whatever the reason they give: My "colonial" coin was found in a tree stump. My coin has been in the family for over 100 years (yet it is stamped with an "R" to conform to the 1972 Hobby Protection Act! :rolleyes:

I've received bad news about my coins. :( I've learned to respect an opinion when warranted by a respected authority and then (as you are doing) learning WHY it is bad. Hope you stick around on CT.;)

8. TommyP

TommyP BS detector

I appreciate you telling me like it is and I had no real expectations that is was real (okay, maybe just a little), and I got the coin for free so no loss regardless. Please do continue to educate me as I want to keep doing so! I'll be around for as long as I collect coins (which should be forever) and so once again, thank you! I am STILL curious though how one can tell so easily and it kind of bums me that I cannot but, oh well, such is life. Keep the honesty coming and on with the education. :)

PS. I did also misread your 'magnet test' statement the first time. My bad.

9. TommyP

TommyP BS detector

umm, anybody want a fake Dragon dollar?

10. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

If you collect coins, keep it until you learn all the characteristics of counterfeits on it. Otherwise donate it to the ANA for their counterfeit collection.

11. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Sorry, dude, been there done that.

Insider likes this.
  12. TommyP

TommyP BS detector

I'll probably keep it for sentimental reasons due to who gave it to me. Just have to make sure I mark it fake so someone else doesn't aggravate themselves like I did.

13. TommyP

TommyP BS detector

Thanks. That's life I guess.

Draft saved Draft deleted