1898 Chinese dragon dollar

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by TommyP, Oct 24, 2016.

1. TommyP

TommyP BS detector

Hello all. It's been awhile since my last post, and I have sinned several times. Seriously though, I have what I believe to be an 1898 Chinese dragon dollar and would like to post here to try a verify (or deny) my belief. I do not know how to upload a photo and can't seem to find instructions how to do so. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Kentucky likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I use Photobucket to reduce the size of the file. Click on the square landscape icon next to the smiley face above. Paste in your file and you should be good.

4. TommyP

TommyP BS detector

Okay...will try. Thank you! So, please see attached (if this works). Hmmm..didn't work. Not sure how to insert images here. :/

5. TommyP

TommyP BS detector

6. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

http://www.dragondollar.com/coins/ Try this site.

Need a sharper, more magnified photo of the surface of your coin. What does it weigh? Also need photo of the reverse. I'll bet your coin is not a genuine example.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  7. TommyP

TommyP BS detector

Will do a little later when I figure out photobucket a little better. Is the image I posted not a genuine example? Thanks thus far. It's identical to this (far as I can tell). https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/4264/China-1898-Hunan-Pattern-Silver-Dollar/

8. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Unfortunately, IMO, your coin lacks the sharpness of the one you posted. Did you purchase it on Ebay or was it handed down in your family? Well, look at the bright side. Your coin is worth over 100 grand. That's Porsche (Poor-sha) money. :)

9. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

You just click upload a file.

10. TommyP

TommyP BS detector

11. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

@TommyP
    On your next post just hit Upload a File.. it's the middle button on the bottom of where you are typing. Next you choose your file wherever you have it. Put the file on your desktop to find it better. Double click on the file and Cointalk will upload it for you. You will see a percentage of file loading bar. When it reaches 100% you will see a small thumbnail and next to it an option to view it as a Large Image. Click on that then Post Reply and your picture will appear on your next post.

12. TommyP

TommyP BS detector

13. TommyP

TommyP BS detector

Okay. I got it, and thank you all very much. So I scanned both of these this evening. It weighs around the correct weight (24g according to my cheap little scale). So, if it's fake (and I am assuming it is), how do I tell?

14. TommyP

TommyP BS detector

Also, have I identified this thing correctly or incorrectly? Thanks once again in advance. I'm happy to defer to the judgement of those here as I'm positive most here know much more than myself on this item.

15. TommyP

TommyP BS detector

This was actually given to me by a dear friend who is no longer with us. He knew much more than I and his health was failing when he gave this (and others) to me before he passed. I just decided to inventory everything I have in the event I am no longer here and my family will know what I have with some kind of accuracy. I'm sure its value in nominal but, wouldn't that be a kicker if? I know, I know. No chance but, I had to ask. :)
    PS. Poor-sha money?

16. TommyP

TommyP BS detector

Would this be worth grading?

17. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Unfortunately your coin is a non-silver modern forgery.

Insider likes this.
  18. TommyP

TommyP BS detector

Wow...well, that stinks. May I ask how you know? The weight?

19. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

The weight is a huge red flag, but the visual identifies what kind of fake it is

20. TommyP

TommyP BS detector

What sticks out? I'm curious. Thank you all for the input. I knew folks here would know. The weight I didn't pay too much attention to due to my scale being a cheapy.

21. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

The only benefit of grading is that you would get a professional opinion on its authenticity. A Third Party Grader will return the coin to you if its fake (but keep the money you spent on getting it graded!)

If most members here say its fake, I would be inclined to trust the majority opinion.

However, another option is to take it to a brick-and-mortar coin dealer in your area. They are (sometimes) experienced in spotting fakes and can probably give you a fairly reliable yes-or-no.

Draft saved Draft deleted