1897 Indian Head Cent Date Error???

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Danielle Skasko, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Danielle Skasko

Danielle Skasko Active Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Hello again to everyone.....sooo just bought a house and I was cleaning and found this beauty snug in between the baseboard and wall.....
    It seems like the "9" has something going on with it.....or is it an "8" or something else?? Thoughts are much appreciated....thanks in advance!

swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

It is a 9 and with this font, even on a new die, there is little room between the top loop and the bottom. The separation is made by a small tongue of die , and if it wears off or is broken off, the 2 areas join. It is called die deterioration. Notice the edges of the other numbers are rather chipped also.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I don't collect IHC's, but I'm guessing that it is a "Closed 9". I've seen this on other coins before, especially Morgan dollars.

Chris

5. Danielle Skasko

Interesting! I did not notice the other numbers being chipped, but I do now thanks to you! Very helpful info.......

6. Danielle Skasko

I don't collect them either....but I thought this was something I should post and inquire about....the more I look at it the more of the 9 I see....thanks for your input! Both of you :)

7. aubade21

aubade21 Well-Known Member

Cool find, especially in a new house. That would make me want to tear up the floorboards and see what other coins fell through the cracks.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  8. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

keep searching that house!

9. 91stang2

91stang2 Pocket change junkie

yea look for the little gold coins with an Indian Chief on it$$$$$

Draft saved Draft deleted