1896 o Morgan Dollar. Opinions on grade?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Tim Tucker, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Tim Tucker

Tim Tucker New Member

1896 o Morgan Dollar. Wondering if the pros on here think this coin has been messed with? It's in a SEGS slab, and doesn't state any problems. Also wondering what you would grade it at. They graded it an MS grade, but I would rather have people look at the coin and come up with their own opinions as opposed to simply agreeing with or slamming the grade. I know its hard from pics, but here is the best I can give you. Any honest opinions would be very helpful, and I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance! image.jpg image.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Maybe it's only the lighting but it appears cleaned.

4. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

They look like (doesn't mean they are) scans to me, and no real conclusion about surface condition can be drawn from them. Although the prominent fingerprint on the obverse argues against recent cleaning, the little dark spots clinging to tight areas on both faces argue the other way. From a strict technical standpoint, the level of detail indicates a coin which has seen barely any circulation, and more likely none at all.

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It looks like "Paint by Number".

Chris

6. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Looks like it could be a MS66 or 67 based on those images. I can't find a single mark!

7. Tim Tucker

Tim Tucker New Member

So you would say cleaned and would be given a details slab at PCGS? I know coins that get a quick dip will not get body bagged. Cleaned or dipped? Thanks for your insight.
    I guess SEGS isn't good at detecting cleaned coins then?

8. SuperDave

Not at all; I'm just saying the images aren't up to any realistic analysis. There is no hint at what the luster might be, so I have no way of drawing any firm conclusion. They look like scans as opposed to photographic images, and scans do not depict luster. Only half of the necessary data - technical details - are present.

STU likes this.
  9. STU

STU Active Member

hard to say its been cleaned as the picture looks in its present state I say cleaned looks to be a little wear over and under the eye finger print could possible be removed I also agree with superdave

10. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

This is a scan guys. The only thing it can tell us and not even with 100% certainty is strike quality. Eveything else from grade to luster to hits and hairlines are not to be trusted

ToughCOINS likes this.
  11. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

AU, rim dings and minor hits, slight ware on highest points, need better pics. for accurate grading.

12. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

The image is terrible and no one can tell from the photo if the coin is cleaned.

A 96-O jumps to $1000 in MS so they probably gave it an AU-58.

13. Matthew Peak

Matthew Peak Member

What is "paint by number?"

14. cpm9ball

I meant it more as a joke. "Paint by Number" art uses a number for each color of paint. The joke is when someone compares one of these finished works to one of the masters, like the Mona Lisa.

From these images, the coin has no luster and is flat in appearance. I wouldn't try to grade it from them.

Chris

15. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

WE, have all got the " helping hand" once in a while. I cant grade from these photos either. I see originality and lustre, but, as far as nicks and dings, rubs. I am not sure.

16. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I'm not familiar with this dealer, but did notice what may be, let's just call it an "odd" fondness for higher dollar SEGS coins. Perhaps not a red flag, but it wouldn't be unreasonable to say it has a reddish tint to it.

That said, if you purchased this coin I hope you did so because you liked it and not with the hopes of crossing at whatever grade is presently on the label. Again, I could be wrong, but my gut tells me this guy didn't just fall off the truck and probably well knows that his SEGS coins would be more more liquid, salable, and perhaps even profitable if in top plastic if they'd cross, and a couple examples I took the time to look at suggest as much.

17. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Chris[/QUOTE]
    14303_10_PM1.jpeg

18. Matthew Peak

Matthew Peak Member

Ok. I get it. Im sorry, Im new to coin collecting and even newer to CT. So when I see a comment I dont understand or an abbreviation I'm unfamiliar with, I ask. But, now I know. Thanks.

19. redcent230

redcent230 Well-Known Member

probably the scan, but it could be also the toning, but yest very nice detail. Some small black little spots on the obverse. It is hard to get the live picture of any coin unless you have some kind of professional photography and lighting.

20. SuperDave

No biggie, except for making me feel a little older as a result. :(

21. cpm9ball

No big deal! Part of learning is asking questions.

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted