1896 Indian head Lamination error?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Cynde, Jan 11, 2024.

1. Cynde

Cynde New Member

A friend of mine found this coin and asked me what was wrong with the face? i mentioned that I am fairly new and no expert. My friend asked if somebody was trying to damage the coin, No I said. I believe it is a mint error most likely a Lamination error. I am not sure because I have never seen a coin like this before. i mentioned that i know where a lot of smart people are who would know, so i bring the coin here.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Leanin' toward environmental damage......

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The tip of his nose is indented. That is a detached lamination error. However the coin itself is suffering from corrosion and environmental damage.

5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Loss of corrosion adhesion.

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Maybe glue?

-jeffB likes this.
  7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

8. Coins4Eli

Coins4Eli Collector of Early American Copper

Detached lamination.
    I have added arrows so that to make my explanation a little more clear. The left side of the coin with "STAT" on it is the surface that was in contact with the die when it was struck. The right side is the metal that was exposed after the original metal (That was struck with the die) became detached, that is why the right side is lower than the left. The arrows that I have placed show the seam between the two sides.
    Untitled drawing (64).png

Last edited: Jan 11, 2024
  9. Coins4Eli

Coins4Eli Collector of Early American Copper

Here is an example from my collection. Note how the letters and details on the detached section are less sharp and more mushy than the other areas of the coin. It is the same on your piece.
    DSC_6434.JPG

10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I can't help seeing the area covering STAT as raised above the rest of the coin. I've never seen a lamination that would cover "the rest of the coin" and fall away leaving a curved boundary like that.

But I've seen plenty of blobs of stuff stuck to coins with a curved boundary like that. I'm with @ldhair -- something got stuck to the coin, and still is stuck to the coin.

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Good Lord I'm glad I don't have to worry about things like this .........

gronnh20 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted