1896 Barber dime opinions needed

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by detectorben, Jul 28, 2017.

1. detectorben

detectorben Member

So I am very new to the coin world and wanted to pick the experts brains here. I have been metal detecting for a few years but rarely find any coins with possible value. I don't think this dime is that special but it's my oldest dime to date and I was very careful not to rub or scratch it. I put it straight from the ground into my olive oil coin tube. I rinsed it with water and dabbed it dry. It looks to be in decent condition but that is coming from a detectorist so take it for what it's worth lol. What are your thoughts and opinions on condition and value? Would a coin like this ever be worth sending in for grading? If so would I send it exactly as is or would the light amount of soil on it need to be removed? I have a 1903 barber dime O mint found same day in same condition as well. I am eager to learn more about my finds and coins in general so I appreciate any input I can get here. Thanks![​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Seattlite86 and gronnh20 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I'm not a grader of these in general but I would hazard a guess at a Fine. Nice detector find but not worth the expense of sending in. In Fine this is around a $50.00 coin if my guess at the grade is correct. Def. a keeper for sure. And if I have not said so before...welcome to CT! There's a few of few of us detectorists here and we'd love to see what else you have found.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  4. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Welcome to CT. Thank you for not scrubbing it with a wire brush to clean it off. It has held up well underground, but I'm not sure that it would get a clean (numerical) grade from the grading companies. I agree with Tommy, it looks to be a F-10 to me, worth $25-30. I'd stick it in an air-tite holder and keep it as a great find.

tommyc03 and Seattlite86 like this.
  5. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

That's the best advise you'll here about this find. It's a wonderful find and certainly a keeper. The only metal detecting finds you might want to get graded are the key dates as they typically are valuable down into the lower grades. People will usually buy them to fill a hole in a series even if they are problem coins.

tommyc03 and Seattlite86 like this.
  6. detectorben

detectorben Member

Ok that makes sense. That is what I suspected I just wanted to be sure. I will watch for key dates. Currently I am putting all my coins in flips and in a coin flip holder box. I was thinking about a binder with flip holder pages so I can display them better and show off my finds. As long as the coins are not key dates this should be fine right? The coins will not be further damaged or devalued that way? Also is just rinsing dirt off with water and carefully drying the silver coins all I need to do as far as cleaning dug coins or is there a better method?

I really appreciate the replies and the great input so far thanks again everyone!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Draft saved Draft deleted