1895 silver dragon yen - worth slabbing?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by TylerH, Aug 2, 2018.

1. TylerH

TylerH Well-Known Member

Hi All

This looked like a really nice coin to me - But only worth grading I think if its AU or better - And I still cant tell grading (most of the top grades look the same to me)

Any thoughts appreciated!

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

what is the value?
    That would determine whether it is worth slabbing

4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

what year is it ?

5. TylerH

TylerH Well-Known Member

It’s 1895

I think it’s worth grading if the value is 100$ or more, and this is only 100 in AU.

6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

only you can determine that. the mintage on this coins year is 21,098,754. where did you get this coin ?

7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I would only slab a coin if it was worth $200+, a favorite coin I do not plan on selling ever. you have to ask yourself are the $35-50+ slabbing fees worth it ? The mintage on this coin is so high there are bound to many more coins in that grade. Personally I would not get it graded. I would however put it in an airtight container. wait for other opinions...

8. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

This is not an uncommon date, and appears AU. Unless you have some compelling need to have it slabbed, I would not. That said, I have been known to have literal pocket change slabbed as I was building a slabbed version of the Dansco Japan Type set as well as coins of ~$5. Or, if it's a sentimental piece, or if you just want uniformity in your collection etc. Or, if you want a second opinion on if it's genuine.

So, it's not always an economical issue or whether it's cost effective.

That said, you have a relatively common date in a fairly common condition.

Draft saved Draft deleted