1895 O

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by fish4uinmd, Jul 30, 2016.

1. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

Does this coin look cleaned?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DysfunctionalVeteran

DysfunctionalVeteran Oddly enough

What's the holder say? It's hard to tell if the scratches are on the holder or the coin.

Insider likes this.
  4. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

My guess is the owner of the coin does not believe the label or he would not have started the thread. In the photo the coin looks fine but the TPGS had it in hand. Psst, don't tell him I said so.

It better be graded AU too!

5. fish4uinmd

Wanted to see what the experts thought...I really feel the scratches are on the coin.

6. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

7. Insider

From your photo, the depth of field has eliminated any effects that may be from the plastic. So, IMO, we are just seeing the coin's surface here.

8. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Yeah, kinda. Surfaces that "clean" with a little bit of wear make me nervous.

Paddy54 likes this.
  9. fish4uinmd

10. fish4uinmd

Note the "scratches" all appear to be in a N-S direction...and I don't see the same thing on the slab.

11. Insider

That is the first GTG I've come slose to being correct. Did not see the PL in the photo.

This brings up an important change FOR THE GOOD. AFSIK, in the past the TPGS's did not used PL or DMPL on labels UNLESS the coins were MS! Any comments from regular NGC/PCGS customers?

12. fish4uinmd

An interesting grading on this coin...I think it looks cleaned. Click on the Ebay link and it shows the slab. I also checked it on the NGC certlookup site.

13. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Looks like a scan to me. Checking a couple other listings it looks like they use both scans and photos depending on the coin.

AU is as low at they go I believe. Their cutoff grade for various designations varies by series. For example PCGS states 60 or higher for FB/FBL but FH they'll do 40 or higher. Not sure if NGC has actual grade cutoffs (couldn't find any on their webpage) or if they just do a case by case basis.

There's an old white ANACS holder on ebay right now that's an AU 50 PL so the AU PL designation has gone on for a while (may have stopped for a bit and came back though)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    Insider likes this.
  14. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

looks like it been wire brushed ...
    wizzed .....................................

Paddy54 likes this.
  15. fish4uinmd

If it WAS cleaned, I don't think it was done with a rotary power tool...ie. whizzed.

16. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Sometimes stuff like this makes it into straight graded holders, and who am I to question the experts? Doesn't take much for PL surfaces to show circulation/cleaning. It's not a coin I would choose to buy.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    Paddy54 likes this.
  17. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

It wasn't wizzed. They wouldn't put a wizzed coin in a straight graded holder that's gonna sell for 3k+

Insider likes this.
  18. Insider

NOTE: This is nonsense! If I were a moderator I would DELETE a post such as this. Opinions are great; yet when they are so far afield as this is, they'll only confuse others. Just MHO.

19. charlottedude

charlottedude Novice Collector

Cleaned/stripped, from the looks of that pic.

'dude

Paddy54 likes this.
  20. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Pass buddy see you at Timonium next month right?

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  21. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

I'm not talking from a power tool .
    Detail brush for doing carpets in the automotive trade ...

Draft saved Draft deleted