1895 Eagle

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Mkm5, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

Hey guys!

I'm not very familiar with grading, any thoughts?

Also, I have no idea how to tell if it's been cleaned or otherwise damaged.

Thanks in advance!

Mike IMG_20201228_142051~2.jpg IMG_20201228_141431.jpg

SchwaVB57 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

Slightly better obverse pic: IMG_20201228_143638.jpg

4. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Personally, I need clear, not blurry, photos. When I enlarge your photos, they become blurry, so I cannot hazard an opinion.

5. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the feedback!

Those were the best pics I was able to take.

6. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Agreed the photos are blurry. From what I can glean this does not appear to be cleaned or damaged. Liberty's hair and the eagles chest are far too pristine.... I been on a gold hiatus since spot prices went crazy, but the PCGS price guide shows an MS60 at $1150.00. Last time I bought an eagle that wasn't quite as good as yours, I paid $800.00 but that was well before spot prices went nuts. I think you have a very nice coin here.

SchwaVB57 likes this.
  7. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

A common date with a mintage of around 500,000 to 600,000 its worth around $1,000-1,100 it looks mint state to me.

8. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the feedback!

I saw this coin at my LCS back in March, and it just kinda called out to me. He gave me what I thought was a fair price at $20 over spot.

Mike

9. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Here's my problem with this coin. It is not graded and slabbed. I expect the color to be darker as with age. I could be wrong, but since the photo is what it is, I believe the coin was cleaned at some point, probably recently. JMO.

10. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

That was pretty good of the dealer. I know a lot of them are moving gold since they are nervous about getting stuck with high spot gold, but that was a good price. That is about what I get when I pay cash from a local dealer when he gets them in. He knows he can call me and get immediate cash usually. I have told him though that above $1600 an ounce I am not really interested anymore. Wehn it drops back I will start buying the same stuff again.

Pretty coin.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  11. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

Thank you!

I purchased it for stacking, but really liked it as a pretty piece of history as well!

Mike

12. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

I wondered if it should be darker as well if not cleaned.

13. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I am with you. If I am going to buy gold, I want it to be an older coin. I have Napolean Bonaparte coins, classic US coins, Russian Czar pieces, etc in my "pile". Way more interesting than Maple Leaves or AGE's to me.

14. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

Definitely!

15. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I think you did well. At twenty bucks over spot I would have jumped all over that myself.

16. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

He had two for sale, one at +$20 and this one at +$90. I was going to get the less nice one, and he offered either for the lower price, so I ended up with this one!

17. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I'd have taken both at that price.

18. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

I was tempted, but happy to cherry pick this one!

19. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

It has a beautiful strike.

20. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

That's what I thought too!

21. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

I agree with you. It’s much more interesting to own a piece of history than some lame chunk of newly minted metal.

Draft saved Draft deleted