1894 G German 5 Pfennig

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Beardigger, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

6BE76151-9C30-4EFC-AB5B-3157685A6EB6.jpeg B20CB978-5484-41BE-BC7A-5C6AD8D8DD0F.jpeg
    Went wandering through my LCS foreigns box and picked this up (among other things). Looked it up and only 280,000 minted. Need to give it a soak in distilled water to see if the grime comes off. But I think it’s pretty cool for 15 cents. Anybody know anything about these? Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheGame

TheGame Well-Known Member

I don't have much more info than you've already found. It's a nice example if you can get the gunk off of it. Not particularly valuable despite the low mintage, but a cool find from a bulk bin.

4. Terrence Thompson

Terrence Thompson New Member

Its cousin

Attached Files:

5. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Dealers on MA shops have circulated examples listed for $10-15. IMO, yours would probably be less due to the residue.

Years ago, I went through the foreign stuff that I accumulated as a kid and found I had a bunch german empire1-10 pfennigs. So I made a list of what I had and would search junk boxes at shows and at the LCS for new ones. Currently have about 90% of the 5 pfennigs from 1873-1945 and about half were junk box finds, while most of the rest cost only a few bucks. There doesn't appear to be a huge demand for circulated german minors in the US and I've been able to find low mintages cheap. However, that same low demand means it will be difficult to flip them for much of a profit, even if they have a decent price guide value

TheGame likes this.
  6. Hermann Watzlawik

Hermann Watzlawik Well-Known Member

the coin was minted in Karlsruhe (Staatliche Münzen Baden-Württemberg)

Seba79 likes this.
  7. FredJB

FredJB Well-Known Member

That black is probably a combo of grease and dirt. I would soak it in dish soap for about a week and then work it over with an old tooth brush. You may have to do this several times. After that if it is still black try finger nail polish remover.

8. Beardigger

Thanks for the input guys (and gals).
    @FredJB I'll try that.Right now have it soaking in distilled water.

9. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

You may want to stick to medals. Cleaning collectible coins that way is not advisable

10. FredJB

FredJB Well-Known Member

Heavy, I would agree with you if the coin was high grade and had a finish worth protecting. The greatest risk to the coin in question here is that there may be pitting below the black crud. The same holds true for medals by the way.

11. Beardigger

Seba79 likes this.
  12. Beardigger

13. FredJB

FredJB Well-Known Member

Nice job, with just the distilled water? In time it will tone down and not look so cleaned.

Draft saved Draft deleted