1893 Zwei Rupien, Real or fake?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by kforbes862, Feb 26, 2015.

1. kforbes862

kforbes862 Well-Known Member

I will post pictures as soon as i can, but i have some questions about a 1893 German East Africa 2 Rupien coin that i got today. It passed magnet test, Second, I checked its weight, and it is 23.29 grams, and should weigh 23.32, should that little difference be a red flag? The thing that really concerns me is the edge/rim, the reeding looks wrong to me for some reason, and i cant find anything saying what kind of edge reeding it should have.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

I would need photos, the weight is not a problem, it is within tolerance. If the coin is worn the reeds may look different. Photos are the only way to tell though.

4. Hotpocket

Hotpocket Supreme Overlord

Pictures please. This coin is quite rare, (mintage of 33,000) and as such there may be counterfeits. Given the probable value of the coin, you may want to spend the money to submit it for grading (if it is in VF or better condition). May give you peace of mind.

coinman1234 likes this.
  5. kforbes862

kforbes862 Well-Known Member

6. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

Certainly. It is genuine coin.

7. Ken Walker

Ken Walker Member

8. monetarium

monetarium Member

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  9. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

I don't know what it is...but something doesn't feel right. The spacing between the letters and the actual image? It looks off...but what do I know. I would spend the money and find out if it is genuine...and if it is...you got yourself a very nice coin. I am rooting for ya...good luck!!!! =)

swamp yankee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted