1893 Vam 3 Morgan

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Hommer, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

I purchased this coin a few days ago. I am having mixed thoughts about it. I'm guessing the grade at low AU, lots of visable abrasions looking through a 16x loupe. I did attribute it to a Vam 3, but have no idea what that may or may not do for the value. I can collect coins with cheaper prices and enjoy them for their history, but when the price gets above a couple hundred, I began to worry about what the kids can get out of them. Any thoughts on grade and or value?
    20150227_113225.jpg 20150227_113357.jpg 20150227_113557.jpg 20150227_113621.jpg 20150227_113453.jpg 20150227_113529-1.jpg

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    coinman1234 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The coin looks like it has been improperly cleaned or polished. Even an AU coin can show signs of luster, but I don't see any.

Chris

coinman1234 likes this.
  4. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

AU-50. I can't tell if it is photos but it looks like the coin is lacking luster, are you sure it did not get overdipped or have a light cleaning at some point.

5. coinman1234

:mad:Chris beat me to it and right as I was writing my reply I saw a message that said, "More posts have been added to this thread, View them?"

6. Hommer

I bought it over the net. Listing didn't have the best pictures. Can send it back for a full refund.

7. Hommer

Will the Vam designation add to the value?

8. coinman1234

How much did you pay? It was advertised as problem free than chances are you overpaid. It is up to you on the return, it depends on how much money you would lose.

9. Hommer

I
    I've got $300 in it.

coinman1234 likes this.
  10. cpm9ball

I think you overpaid. Send it back.

This is one of the problems when buying raw coins on FleaBay. You can't rely on the sellers comments or photos unless you know him/her well.

Chris

11. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

12. Hommer

After studing the condition, I can't say I wasn't disappointed. it was described as a very high grade. I wasn't looking for a deal, just an honest coin for my collection. I've ran across others that I could tell the grade and value fairly easily and felt they were way over priced.

I graded it at AU 50 myself and had a very good idea that it had been whizzed. None of which were part of the description. The Vam 3 wasn't either but when I noticed the doubled 3 I looked it up. No one has commented on what that may add to value. If not on this particular coin, then another one. I would like to add that part to my never-ending education.

coinman1234 likes this.
  13. cpm9ball

I'm guessing that the VAM-3 would be worth in the $400+ range in AU, but you'd have to find some current auction prices (not eBay) to confirm that.

Chris

14. coins776

coins776 no title

15. gotchange

gotchange Off I go, Happily coin-hunting everafter!

WOW 400.00+ oh my, I must look into this VAM and my Morgans. I have quite a few that are AU or even higher. I need the $. 400+ in comparison to what they normally go for on feebay. I thank you for your thread. Always learning always growing. Glorious is life.

Draft saved Draft deleted