1893 S the holy grail of Morgans

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by fish4uinmd, Jul 12, 2015.

1. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

When the coin got "conserved" and subsequently down graded shouldn't it have received a details grade improperly cleaned? The coin grades MS67 and it needs conserving? Who was the genius that thought that was a good idea?

derkerlegand and fish4uinmd like this.
  4. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

And they are supposed to be the "experts"...bit 'em this time!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    derkerlegand and gronnh20 like this.
  5. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

I wrote to an eBay seller of silver dollars a few years ago. He called these raw dollars BU. Some were no better than F, but all were shiny as hell. A close view revealed abrasion like done with Comet® cleaner! He told me that he knew it, but that the coins sold MUCH better like that. Sad, ain't it? You always hurt the one you love....

fish4uinmd likes this.
  6. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I'm shocked! Jack lee was a friend of mine and held the absolute greatest collection of Morgans ever attempted, he would punch the guy in the head for doing this and he was t a small guy. I can't believe NCS didn't pass on working on that coin.

7. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Why did they conserve it? Because they were idiots, liked to gamble, or both.

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I thought it might help to clarify a couple of things. The coin talked about in the article that was just purchased for $646 thousand plus is the Eliasberg-Sunnywood-Simpson coin, it is graded MS65. It is not the Norweb coin. This is the best picture of it I can find - http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=...d=0CCAQMygFMAVqFQoTCJPRobDA2MYCFYkcPgodfjcA3w

This is the Norweb coin, after it was conserved, and offered for auction in 2008, it did not sell. http://coins.ha.com/itm/morgan-dollars/silver-and-related-dollars/1893-s-1-ms67-ngc/a/1104-2366.s

This is the Norweb coin when it was offered and sold in 2011 -
    http://coins.ha.com/itm/morgan-dollars/silver-and-related-dollars/1893-s-1-ms67-ngc/a/1158-7332.s

The Norweb coin has since been downgraded and put in an NGC MS66 slab. Unfortunately, even after searching, I cannot find any pictures of the Norweb coin before it was dipped. But if anyone has a copy of the original 1988 catalog perhaps they can share with us. Or if anyone knows of a link to such pictures, please share.

9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

No, because it was conserved, not cleaned. Don't you understand anything? :D

gronnh20 likes this.
  10. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

That isn't the prettiest toning that I've ever seen, but it looks completely dead now. It's MUCH nicer than mine though.

11. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Nobody would give that "conservation" a second thought if the coin wasn't the key date. If we did, throw out half the Morgan Dollars, maybe more.

12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

No maybe about it. If not having been previously dipped was a necessary qualification you have to throw out about 80% of them. Of course the same thing is true of all older coins.

13. C G Memminger

C G Memminger Active Member

Stealing a line from Prsident Clinton: "ain't but two answers to that question...No and HELL NO!!

14. Catalog picture.

[​IMG]

NSP likes this.
  15. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I know a dealer who "conserves" all his uncirculated coins. It makes me sick. :(

16. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

It's sad that happens. 100 to 200 years of a natural reaction gone in ten seconds. Unless a coin's toning is beyond butt ugly, I don't think it's worth dipping.

17. C G Memminger

C G Memminger Active Member

Conserving makes sense....sometimes. If a high$$$ coin has schmutz clinging here and there .. I mean sticky, gum-like crud, often black...I'll consider it. On Morgans, that crud often clings to
    Denticals.

Will I bother doing so with a 65-66 grade 81-S Morgan ? No. I'll "DIY." My dealer/buddy Ricky B can do this for me. He has an conservation assembly line, set up for proof coins.

How about an 89-CC Morgan, unquestionably MS, noise-level suggesting a 3 or 4, but...some gummy crud and a patch of dark, ugly toning....both of which are in prominent, obverse locations. Yup. This one goes to the pros.

18. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I am totally opposed to conservation of coins, unless there is some potential "terminal" damage on the coin. Toning that is not one's taste is not terminal damage. Would I even think about it in a high grade key coin such as the 93s? No way that I would in any way touch the surfaces of said coin. If one doesn't find it attractive, then it would not sell. I find overdipped coins made to look like blast White Morgans unattractive. Keep it real, and keep it original.

Draft saved Draft deleted