1893 S morgan xf40

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by jerry45, Oct 9, 2016.

1. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

OP where are you at?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

What does this say?
    20161010_225000.jpg

4. jerry45

jerry45 Member

The cloudyness is outside scuff n scratch on the holder. As far as it being fake its not. It has the die gouge on the top of T in liberty also has the "rabbit ears" on the leg of the R in liberty. All 100,000 1893 s were made from the same die therefore they all have these marks if not then id be concerned. I purchased the coin for $7200

5. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I hope you are right and all of us are wrong.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    Hommer likes this.
  6. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Ouch, that's a big loss. Try to recover your money immediately. All authentic 93s morgans have a far date position as only 1 obverse die was used. Yours is a near date, case closed. Sorry man

http://www.vamworld.com/1893-S+VAMs

7. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

All 1893-S coins are Far Date, and the mint mark is in the wrong place, and the slab is fake. Your imagery might perhaps have distorted the coin's features, so please use Cascade's link to determine them for yourself. The slab speaks for itself.

Please come to grips with this quickly, so you can hopefully recover your investment.

Paul M. likes this.
  8. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

One obverse and two reverse dies were used. Earlier in this thread Hommer first brought up the date placement, which is wrong on your "example", so let's think about this one... If only one obv die was used, and it does not match yours, what does this suggest to you? In addition, I've already pointed out to you that the mintmark on your example doesn't match as well. Two rev dies were used with two different placements, so if yours doesn't match either, what does this tell you? If it quacks like a duck, waddles like a duck, and looks like a duck, is it wise to conclude its actually a swan because that's what you want it to be?

I do believe we've been through this before with a supposed 76-CC 20C you refused to believe was fake even though your example didn't display the strong obv doubling the handful of known genuine examples do. I don't know where you're acquiring such coins, but if you're truly spending anywhere near what you've claimed to on this one, you really need to stop, think, and learn before you're parted with any more of your money.

If this story is true, you really need to invest your efforts into hopefully getting your money back instead of dismissing the facts presented to you, or insisting it real simply because that's what you want to believe. Good luck.

9. hotwheelsearl

I made this to show you why your slab is fake.

The main key here was the font, especially on the number 7. A genuine PCGS slab has a 7 with a straight back, while the counterfeit one (yours) has a more bent back.
    counterfeit.JPG

10. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

I'm seriously beginning to think this guy is making them himself.

micbraun likes this.
  11. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

If you look closely, there are at least 5 other significant differences I see between this fake slab and an authentic one, besides just the font.

12. hotwheelsearl

I noticed the font right off the bat. The 2, 3, 6, and 7 are the most glaring font issues.
    I only own one single PCGS slab... So I really don't know how to tell that it's fake from the slab itself.

Could you please list them out for noobs like me? Thanks!

13. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

That slab is so fake I didn't even bother to mention it. The label looks like it was printed on a $30 inkjet printer using Microsoft word

14. physics-fan3.14

I'll send you a PM. Listing the problems on an open forum only helps the counterfeiters get better.

Dougmeister and hotwheelsearl like this.
  15. hotwheelsearl

That's a very good point. I never thought of that before. Perhaps I shouldn't have pointed out the font issues with that picture...

16. physics-fan3.14

@jerry45

I know the truth of this thread is painful, but I really hope that you are able to get your money back.

I also *strongly* urge you to contact PCGS and make them aware of this counterfeit slab. They make a point of strongly pursuing these counterfeits, for obvious reasons. If you are unable to get your money back, they may be able to assist you (even though the slab is not theirs).

Paul M. likes this.
  17. SuperDave

Not talking about the problems helps perpetuate unknowing buyers purchasing fake slabs because they don't know what to look for. It's a judgement call as to which is worse.

Earl Clark and Paul M. like this.
  18. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Well, since many of the counterfeiters probably don't speak or read English ;), I would say discussing it openly is by far the better option.

19. SuperDave

Only the dumb criminals get caught. If I were counterfeiting something involving Chinese characters, I'd ensure I had the characters duplicated to the last detail.

20. hotwheelsearl

you'd think that the whole point of counterfeiting was to make something indistinguishable from the original. and it's really, really not that difficult to do a bit of research, study actual examples, and arrive at a perfect product.

21. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Why go to the trouble to come up with a perfect product when it doesn't take one to peddle counterfeits successfully?

Paul M. likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted