1893 S morgan xf40

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by jerry45, Oct 9, 2016.

1. jerry45

jerry45 Member

Ill post pics when i get home it is pcgs graded just picked it up i have an idea of value would like to confirm

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Auction prices for the past year seem to range from $6400-$9150, so, probably somewhere in the middle of that range is right. Maybe $7800? Hard to say without seeing the coin. :)

ldhair likes this.
  4. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

PCGS' Auction Prices site indicates that 8 of the 18 sold in the last year (since Oct 2015) have hammered over $10,000....the cheapest during that time was $8225. The cheapest in a PCGS slab during that time was $9440.

slackaction1 likes this.
  5. Paul M.

Are you looking at the right date, mint, and grade?
    1893-S auctions.PNG

6. SuperDave

Yes, and looking at XF45. :shame:

You'd hate to live in my head. :)

Cascade and Paul M. like this.
  7. jerry45

jerry45 Member

8. jerry45

jerry45 Member

9. jerry45

jerry45 Member

10. Paul M.

The reverse is giving me the impression of a high end coin, but I don't like the cloudiness that's going on with the obverse. Unless that's on the holder, I hope you got a great deal on it.

11. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Where did you pick this up from, and how much did you pay for it?

Because I strongly suspect that is a counterfeit slab, and there is a high chance it contains a counterfeit coin.

@Conder101 @messydesk Thoughts?

micbraun and ddddd like this.
  12. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

That was the first thing I noticed, the slab, even just the style of lettering used doesn't look right

13. ddddd

ddddd Member

Yep looks like a fake slab...label, holder, font all look off.

14. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Isn't the 1 supposed to line up exactly on a dentical?

15. ddddd

ddddd Member

The issue here is that the number matches an actual 1893-s certified by PCGS. If anyone can find the actual coin on heritage or another auction site, then that would confirm that the holder and coin aren't legit.

16. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I hope that you either didn't pay much, or that you can return it, because as physicsfan3.14 said, the slab is fake, and likely the coin is as well.

17. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

The cert number checks but that slab looks really off.

18. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Yes, and this one doesn't. I haven't yet had the chance to look closely at the entire coin, but oy....

Paul M. and Hommer like this.
  19. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

This is a common trick used by slab counterfeiters. Match your counterfeit coin to a genuine slab, and the uninformed as well as those too lazy to do their due diligence will be more easily fooled.

20. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

In addition, the mintmark isn't positioned or tilted properly to be one of the two reverses. When compared to the other, while fairly centered it appears, at least to my tilted head and strained eyes, to sit too high, and (somewhat) wrongly tilted to be a match.

I so hope the OP has allowed for an out with this one.

Paul M. likes this.
  21. SuperDave

No need.

All 1893-S Morgans have a Far Date. This coin does not. There is not a chance it's a genuine 1893-S. It might be a genuine Morgan with an altered mint mark, but it is not an 1893-S. If you want to pile on, the mint mark is not in either of the two known locations.

Now, for the slab. The barcode reads 0072266413663977. For this coin, it should read (if I have this right) 0072264030989439, the last 8 digits being identical to the coin's Cert number. The cert "13663977" does not appear in PCGS' database.

PCGS needs to be informed of this.

micbraun, Cascade and Paul M. like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted