1893 IHC - Strange toning ?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by SensibleSal66, Feb 20, 2021.

1. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Hey mostly everyone ! I have this 1893 Indian Head Penny that has strange toning . I found this Metal Detecting several years ago with another object . Does anyone know or can guess why it turned out like this cool pattern, especially the Reverse ? Could it have something to do with this Brass "Relic" found just a couple inches above it ? IMG_20201105_082245056.jpg
    1893 IH-Obv-horz.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Maybe, but it is probably the result of the soil PH level.

paddyman98 and Jim Dale like this.
  4. charley

charley Well-Known Member

Might have been in a fire. The relic also, not just the coin.

Jim Dale and SensibleSal66 like this.
  5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

That IHC isn't in bad shape especially for being a ground find.
    Neat relic though, A Badge of some sort?

Kentucky, Jim Dale and SensibleSal66 like this.
  6. SensibleSal66

@Pickin and Grinin . You might be right as I dug a lot of coal . Still don't know what it is . Been on forums and at my Club meeting . No one can ID it .

Jim Dale likes this.
  7. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I agree with Robert, Sal. PH and other nutrients could and would make for different toning among other anomalies. Enjoyed the post, thanks

Jim Dale likes this.
  8. AuldFartte

AuldFartte Well-Known Member

I could be wrong (heck, I could always be wrong!) but it looks like corrosion of some kind, IMHO.

Jim Dale likes this.
  9. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I don't know where my father got his IHC, but some of them are toned, but not all are the same.

10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

On the activity series of metals, copper is more reactive than silver...

11. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

When metal detecting all has to be taken into consideration when trying to determine the surface condition of a metal detected coin. What type of Environmental Exposure such as..
    Was it buried in tight or loose soil, dirt, clay, or sand?
    What temperatures does the area experience?
    Was it in an open field or wooded vegitated area?

All these factors can affect the look of a buried coin.

Example.. A coin found in a plowed field can have a nastier look than a coin found in a wooded area. Why? They spray or add chemicals to the soil such as fertilizers and pesticides. Corrosion will set in after many years of chemical exposure.

SensibleSal66, eddiespin and ldhair like this.
  12. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

OK, Sal, now ya gone and dun it, peaked my curiosity of the first item pictured. So now it is incumbent upon you to post more photos of the item along with dimensions.
    upload_2021-2-21_8-44-4.png

13. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Great post and right on target. Different types of soil react differently with different types of metal.

This makes me think of a school yard I used to search. When the yard was built, they brought in several types of soil to level the grounds. There was one area that I just quit searching. Everything I dug was in such bad shape it took the fun out of it.

One other thing I would like to add. I dug a lot of coins that looked pretty good but they started toning dark really quick. I feel that was probably due to all the new exposure to air and storage.

The OP coin is actually in nice shape to have been dug. The details make me think the coin was lost when it was AU.

paddyman98 and eddiespin like this.
  14. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Do you mean like cross-contamination due to brass near copper? I’d say no. That coin turned that way without any help from that brass.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    paddyman98 likes this.
  15. SensibleSal66

Okay , thanks . I just love the reverse on this coin despite the ding and being "dug" is amazing .

16. SensibleSal66

I found the coin at the top area around a stone cellar hole . I found several buttons there also . The dirt was the color of the "Ace of Spades"and there was a lot of coal around .

Draft saved Draft deleted