1893 Columbian Exposition Half Dollar

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by James Boat, Feb 27, 2021.

1. James Boat

James Boat Member

Hi - I inherited a number of coins years ago when my father passed. He and my grandfather collected for several years before moving to other hobbies. With the purchase of a Red Book on Amazon and internet searching and and another very helpful forum, I'm starting to get a sense of what they collected.

Attached pictures show one coin I came across and was curious about. Would anyone have an idea on grade/value? It's quite tarnished, but details seem pretty clear (at least to my untrained eye!).

Thank you in advance,
    James

161446091305545667342765192593.jpg 16144610364993699703787367022040.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Its worth around $10 grade around au-xf details it might of been cleaned lots of scratches on the reverse.

James Boat likes this.
  4. James Boat

James Boat Member

5. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

Nice toning . I like it. Melt value is nearly $10 so in my book it's worth more.

James Boat likes this.
  6. Dima

Dima Member

I think that this might be bit better off than AU -- look at the clear detail on the sails on reverse. This is usually the most worn area due to it being one of the highest reliefs. Additionally, seems like a pretty good strike in terms of details on the globes. Fields appear rather clean, but due to the angle of the light hitting the coin, that could be bit deceiving. Having said all that, it does look like it might've been cleaned at some point - though this too can be deceiving due to the photos. These classic commemoratives often have funky and unique toning similar to this coin.

James Boat likes this.
  7. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

James ... Welcome aboard... we've been expecting you .
    I love this coin and own one myself . Mine's in AU-58 and I paid $22 , yours being maybe AU50 ~ $17.50 .

James Boat likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted