1893 cc

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Motox, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

I'm a bit confused. I thought @Paddy54's response indicated he thought it was genuine. Help me out, guys.

Steve

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I'm not by far an expert, as I do know some about most series,but the obv. Looks genuine the rev.... not so much. I yield this to more versed members here on this forum.
    But thank you for your confidence it truly is appreciated.

LA_Geezer and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  4. Tusky Ranger

Tusky Ranger Active Member

Well...if it were me; I'd track down a local (reputable) coin shop first. Having the physical coin in hand would help. If you are not in a huge hurry; just have it graded. If it is real; then you'll add additional value to the coin (looks near AU/AU?) - prob around $2K all told (if it graded at AU). If its fake...yeah, you lose $30-$50. Im far from anything close to an expert...but it does look a little funky. However, I dug out my NGC VF25 1893-CC and I didnt see anything different (obvious) between the two reverses. Good luck! Keep us posted!

Stevearino and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  5. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Fake coin, without even seeing the obverse. The CC is way too big, and the raised dot above the R is wrong. Surface is artificially patinated also.

6. Jayyk38

Jayyk38 Member

Compare your 93cc on VamWorld to either a Vam 1, 3, or 5. Date lines up with VAM1. From your pics it shows a large CC centered so these 3 vams are the only ones on this date with that style mm. The other few Vams for this date have a smaller tilted mm. Your coin looks genuine to me, just seen better days, but the pics aren't the best to tell. The weight concerns me a little tho. A worn coin should show a tiny bit lighter than 26.73, like 26g. I guess if your scale isn't calibrated correctly it might show different.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I really don't know squat about these, but the obverse looks cast to me. Take it to a coin dealer first and maybe save some bucks. Is it magnetic (attracted by a magnet).

Dave Waterstraat likes this.
  8. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

First glance...not good...be careful!

9. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

My first impression also was " looks pretty questionable".
    Looks like the obverse grades VF (going by the cotton bolls) and the reverse looks nearly uncirculated.
    Incorrect letter shapes.
    There's pimples where there shouldn't be.
    20191117_171140.jpg
    Evidence of a cast fake IMO.
    Sorry about my crude arrows:happy:.

Sure doesn't look good to me.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    buckeye73, markr and Bob Evancho like this.
  10. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

If it's a large 8, it's a scarce coin. (O101).
    But I rather think its O102, much more common. If you post complete pics of both sides the guys here can nail it down and give better advice on certifying it.

11. Bob Evancho

Bob Evancho Well-Known Member

Silver dollars have been counterfeited for decades. Your silver dollar is not genuine. It does not match any of the known dies for the genuine 1893-CC. There are a number of areas that cry out "I'm Fake". A close examination of all the lettering and comparison with known dies indicates discrepancies. A close examination of the stars indicates discrepancies from known genuine ones. The dots or raised lumps on the coin indicate discrepancies from known varieties. Is it silver? I was recently asked to determine the authenticity of an 1896-S Morgan in VF condition but weighing 27.1 grams. It tested 94% silver, the obverse die did not match the known reverse die for that variety and other forensic diagnostics did not match known dies. Your discrepancy in wear shouts suspicion. AU reverse and VF obverse. We don't want counterfeiters to know all the check points but you get the idea how a coin is authenticated based on known dies and their die characteristics, planchet, diameters, silver content, etc.. I compliment you for your thoughtfulness.

markr and Stevearino like this.
  12. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

It has the first look of a fake. Have a dealer take a look at it and if he doesn't want to deal desperately, its a fake. I would send it to ANACs so you would have the grade on it, and then show us again for idea of value. Jim

p.s., the person who gave it to you probably didn't know either.

markr likes this.
  13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

From VAM world there appear to only be two reverse dies for this issue VAM's 1,3, snf 5 with a centered mintmark and VAM 2 and 4 with the mintmark tiled and set a little to the right. VAM 2 and 4 are out as the OP coin has a centered mintmark. However the mintmark appears too large and too high

Stevearino and Jayyk38 like this.
  14. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Not questioning the opinions of "fake" here, just sad it won't be a boon to the family in need. Has anyone seen this particular fake before? Or was it a one-off?

Steve

15. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

I'm not an expert but do collect Morgans. IMO it looks to be counterfeit. The mint mark looks too large, many of the letters and stars all seem to be rounded and fat as compared to the overall condition of the reverse. The glob (cud) above R in AMERICA is also concerning. Just my opinion. Thanks for posting.

longshot and Paddy54 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted