1893 Barber Quarter Repunch date?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by BigTee44, May 27, 2016.

1. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

So I just got my macro lens and this is one of the coins I did. I never looked at the date as NGC doesn't show any varieties for this year, so what exactly is this? I'm soaking it in acetone to try and see if I can get that gunk within the three out of there. I don't think that post is big enough to be from a 2, and there aren't any known overdates, so I'm not exactly sure what to think on this one.
    IMG_1872 (2).JPG

Jaelus likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I believe there is an 1893/2 dime. Anyway, when you look at certain overdates, the overdate often occurs on different denominations.

Example: 1918/7 25c, 1918/7-D 5c (Dies were done in Philly). I've been looking out for a 1918/7 10c all these years. You, may have something. Too bad you don't have some MS-70 as you would have gotten your answer MUCH quicker than I wrote this. Let us know!

BigTee44 likes this.
  4. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Looks like there's a die crack too ...

5. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

It looks like MD to me.

6. Insider

I thought we are discussing the silver diagonal line inside the lower loop of the "3" not the double looking top of the "3."

7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

It's from the strike, @BigTee44. It's most prominent on the 3. Look at how the top part is incomplete, how you need the secondary image to complete it. The die took a bad hop, that's what formed that.

8. Insider

@eddiespin Die bounce does not make a "3" look like a "3/2." Can everyone posting in this thread agree on that?

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

There is MD for sure. If there is something going on with the 3, it's not clear in the images at this point.

10. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

At first glance, I see what the OP indicated that he is seeing, and it does look like an overdate. But if it were, the 2 would have been in a style not used on coins of this period of time.
    1892_CH.BU_28c03d55-d3d5-423b-9a8c-0460190d32e2_large-1.jpg
    I think it is just a line in the gunk. It's made me take a second look before.

Insider likes this.
  11. Insider

Then sharpen a toothpick, put a drop of Care on the "3", let it sit, and touch the line gently. You'll easily see if it disappears. A drop of MS-70 works better and faster.

12. BigTee44

Yea the Verdi care didn't work. Looks like I need to get some ms70

13. Insider

That I cannot believe! VerdiCare and a toothpick would have removed it if it was black gunk. Looks like it is black oxidation then.

If you were very gentle, the point of the toothpick (sharpened to a sliver like a rose thorn) would have bumped up against (you would feel resistance) the diagonal line if it were raised.

14. BigTee44

Looks like I need to buy some toothpicks tomorrow then :)

15. Insider

Before doing anything. A collector should be able to look at the "3" using a 10X or higher hand lens under bright light and tell if the diagonal line is raised or jus a mark/scratch in the gunk/toning. Then you can leave the coin as is.

If you fail that: sharpen a toothpick to a fine point or very often you can break one in half and produce a finer, more delicate sliver. Don't press hard. Move very slowly in tiny increments as if you are playing with a bomb! You do not want to hairline the coin with some of the grit on the surface. Best done using a stereo microscope as it only takes seconds to tell what you have.

VerdiCare is great for this and even a drop of CLEAR liquid soap works. If you use either, rinse well, acetone, dry w/compressed air or hot hair dryer. Good Luck.

Draft saved Draft deleted