1893 Barber Dime with S/S?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by JAY-AR, May 15, 2015.

1. JAY-AR

JAY-AR Well-Known Member

Hi everyone of you smart, smart coin GURU's. I have a 1893 Barber Dime which looks to be a S/S, but, it isn't the same as in the Cherrypickers guide(1893-S/S RPM FS-501 (FS-009). I sent it in to be graded and it came back with just a basic grade without a RPM designation. Could you guys have a look at the pic and tell me, is this a true RPM or just strike doubling....I'm kind of a newbie at this and need some more education.....

Attached Files:

ZoidMeister, Derry and Seattlite86 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Yeah, that looks like two Ss. The superior image, the top S, is intact, it's all there, it's not "borrowed from" to form the bottom image. That means the bottom image is independent from the top image. In short, that's a genuine RPM.

lordmarcovan and Derry like this.
  4. JAY-AR

JAY-AR Well-Known Member

COOL!!!! Thanks Eddie! So, in this case, what would you recommend I do with it to get it documented. I sent it in to ICG and had it graded and it came back without the RPM designation on the slab. Would this be something to send to Coneca etc...or should I send it back to ICG?

5. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Sending it to the TPGs is getting ahead of yourself if it isn't yet attributed by an expert. CONECA may refer you to the contacts for that, or just wait around and others here may come in and do it provided they agree it has a chance. I had errors attributed like that through CONECA contacts, but that was quite some time ago. Others here will know better than I, just give it time.

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'm not 100% sure that it isn't machine doubling. When you sent it to ICG, did you request variety attribution? If not, that may be why it came back without an explanation.

Chris

7. JAY-AR

JAY-AR Well-Known Member

Thanks Eddie, I'll hold my water for now...Chris, yes, when I sent it to ICG I requested the variety attr. I actually wrote the CherryPickers # with a question mark and added that this one was not the same.
    You guys are awesome! Man I love this forum!

8. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

The newest CP guide mentions the one shown in the book is one of 3 different RPM for the date and how they would like to examine and photograph the other two styles. Hopefully yours is one of those other two if it is a true RPM and not just MD. I'd find an error expert to give an opinion on it and there are a couple that frequent this forum that will probably be along.

It does look similar to some of the dramatic MD on the MM that I've seen before on lots of Lincoln cents 60's-70's, but here's hoping it's a true RPM and not just MD Op.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
    Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  9. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

It's definitely not the CPG variety. I think it's MD. It looks smashed to me. Not 100% though.

Paddy54 likes this.
  10. JAY-AR

JAY-AR Well-Known Member

Thanks every for the happy thoughts....Keep it coming!

11. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Sorry to say I'm in the MD camp. The edges look flat it does not look like any other s/s known for that date. I myself have been fooled with RPM as well as RPD that look similar to the style of the op image.

12. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

What does this one look like? "Smashed," "flat," "shelf-like," however one wants to say it, isn't dispositive. See the top images? They're intact. Not compromised to form the bottom images. This is from Brad Podraza's website, The Lincoln Cent Resource. It's the VDB DDO...

1909_VDB_DDO_DATE-456x337.jpg

ZoidMeister and jay4202472000 like this.
  13. Paddy54

Eddie playing the devil advocate here sorry I have seen coins just like the one you have posted come back md! Just seems funny how some coins make the grade and others don't . I have shield nickels that date looks the same come back as md. One was a triple punched ended up as a repunched date as well as md.
    That said on an item as such I personally believe it needs to be looked at by several experts to make a call. IMHO

jay4202472000 likes this.
  14. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Paddy, give me a few minutes, my coffee is still percolating. I know where you're coming from. I have some pictures in another computer I want to show you. Let me go fire that up. The pictures will illustrate a little better where I'm coming from. Be back in a few. :)

15. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

Very true Eddie. That 1909 is the exact reason I said "not 100% though." Some examples are very tricky.

eddiespin likes this.
  16. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

OK, here we go. Look at the top picture. It's a strike-doubled 1969-S. The bottom picture is that first 9 compared against the first 9 in the VDB DDO. Look at the tails of the top 9s in the bottom picture. Do you see how the first one is compromised? It's cut-off, thinned? It's "borrowed from" to make the bottom 9. In the VDB DDO, the top 9 is intact.

In die-doubling, the top digit is punched over the existing bottom digit. The bottom digit is the first punch. In strike-doubling, it's just the opposite. There's no bottom digit. The top digit is the only digit. The bottom digit, due to the hop, skip, or jump in the striking, forms by "taking" from the top digit, and smearing it out.

Save these pictures. I won't enforce copyright against you, lol. This is a diagnostic. It's just one among several. Sometimes it's the one with all the candy. To tell that, i.e., whether the digits are compromised, all you have to do is know what they're supposed to look like when intact.

Good enough? If so, I request to be dismissed. I have a grill out on my deck I have to get close and personal with before the guests arrive. :)

69S.jpg Nines (69S and VDBDDO).jpg

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  17. JAY-AR

JAY-AR Well-Known Member

Eddie, thanks very much for the education! Your excused, and enjoy the grill out...hee hee, I think I got the info I needed....again thanks sooooooooo much everyone for the input. I'm leaning toward the S/S with the hope it's one of the 2 not listed in the CPG.

eddiespin likes this.
  18. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

OK. Good luck on it. I hope you get it.

19. Paddy54

OK Eddie next question who's going to win the Preakness stakes? I only ride horses never pick them...61 years never went to Pimlico for as I call it the Freakness!

20. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

If I told you and you bet it that would bring down the mutuels. I lost enough money on horses to know that. :D

21. Paddy54

I've never bet on a horse, only on what I know . Like I said I can ride them, but must admit last horse I was on was down in Mexico. We both ended up going for a swim. The first time ever had a horse turn into a boat. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted