1892-S Morgan Silver dollar Grade/Value?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by James Rohleder, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Capture_06133.JPG Capture_06134.JPG Please help me determine grade/value of this unfortunate 1892-S Morgan. I would call it XF details. Obvious scratches. The reverse exhibits proof-like surfaces muddled by the gray cloudiness. I am thinking about selling it on ebay. What should I ask for it? Thx in advance for your input.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Are you sure that it is genuine, I see evidence of casting. If it is genuine, I think XF details is correct and would price it at about $200 and see what happens. This date is a bit strange in the wide range of pricing based on grades so it is pretty difficult to give an accurate value with the damage.

4. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

The scratches on the face kills it for me. Check the measurements & weight if any doubts of authenticity look over the reed closely. IMO $200 is to much. Looked at this post right after someone trying to sell a 1922 slipped on the date here. 1892 check mintage also I'm not sure of how many are in population.

5. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Look like a fake to me

Paddy54 likes this.
  6. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Yeah - on larger view seems like alot of small sand particles cast into the coin. And the MM just doesn't look right at all.

7. I checked the weight = 26.7 grams. Diameter = 38 mm. What is the easiest, foolproof and best way to determine if a morgan is fake.

8. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Thats all good BUT not foolproof. Your measurements are good tho. I have an 1890 looking at it I'd swear was a fake, measurements spot on. Took to an ANA he said was real deal. I was shocked.

9. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Look between the denticles just above the dot between the S and the U of E Pluribus Unum at about 2 o'clock of the obverse. You will notice a small (what looks to be) raised dot. This is what looks like evidence of where an air bubble got trapped during casting. There are several other similar raised looking spots between the denticles on the obverse.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  10. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I really don't think this was cast . Look at the scratches , if it was cast the inside of the scratches would be smooth , where here they match the fields . But to be sure it wasn't cast we'd have to see the 3rd side were a flue would be , also the reeding is important . Could you take a pic of the reeding ? Though looking at it on my phones screen I may be missing what Kirk said .

11. Reeding picture. Coin in question is the one in the middle of the 3 in the middle. Several other morgans for comparison Capture_06139.JPG

rzage likes this.
  12. rzage

Looks ok , but can you see where there was a hole that was filled in ?

13. More reeding pictures. Coin in question is in the middle of 5. 360 degree views. I'm not sure what I'm looking for, but I don't see any evidence of holes being filled. Capture_06140.JPG Capture_06141.JPG Capture_06142.JPG Capture_06143.JPG Capture_06141.JPG Capture_06142.JPG Capture_06143.JPG

14. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

You would know it if you saw it, few fill in are so clean to not leave some evidence. Surely somebody here will have a link for you. MO is it looks ok, just not a $200 coin, not sure even at $100. Again my opinion

15. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

The reeding looks fine to me as well. I may have to rethink my earlier opinion if no one else is seeing what I'm seeing.

rzage likes this.
  16. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Looks genuine. The very low light is causing every last speck of dust and dirt to cast a shadow on the coin. I agree that it's an unfortunate scratch on an XF coin. Even more unfortunate is that it looks like it might be a VAM 2 (doubled date).

Insider likes this.
  17. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I'm just starting this thread so...The scratches have nothing to do with how the coin as made (struck or cast) because they happened AFTERWARDS. That's why they look the way they do.

18. rzage

I'm not the best at writing . What I meant was the scratches happened later , and to look exactly like the fields around them , the roughness appeared after the scratches . So they didn't look that way at minting . This probably isn't any clearer , is it . lol ;)

Insider likes this.
  19. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Looks good to me but maybe thrown in a fireplace or went through a house fire at one time. I'm at vf details with extreemly poor eye appeal. If you can pull $50-60 grab it and run :)

rzage likes this.
  20. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It looks real to me. I think someone would give about $100 for it on Ebay.

rzage likes this.
  21. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Could we maybe clarify the detail page at VAMworld a bit on VAM-2? I went through the year there for this thread, and the VAM-2 detail images seem to offer evidence of repunching to the south (or something) on the centers of 892 which aren't discussed in the writeup.

For those not aware, 1892-S VAM-2 is on the Top 100 VAM list, and among the rarer members of that list.

1892-S is a "better" date - only half a dozen Morgan issues are scarcer in PCGS slabs, and a quick perusal (I may have missed something) indicates it's the single scarcest Morgan date/Mint in PCGS Pops in Mint State - but pretty easy in circulated grades. With the damage, it probably shouldn't reach $75 in a VF Details slab (I can't quite reach XF for it). If I'm low on the grade, add $100 to the value.

Draft saved Draft deleted