1892 Indian Head Penny DDR

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Boot, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Boot

Boot Junior Member

1892DDR.jpg I'm trying to get a sense of value here. I hope to hear about the grade of this coin, and understand if this is a known snow/other variation. (snow 12 or 13 possible, but I can't find an image). There is a double die shown in the close up of the reverse. I wish the images were better, alas I don't possess this coin at the moment. Thanks in advance. 1892obv.jpg 1892Rev.jpg

RBBDoughty likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. RBBDoughty

RBBDoughty Author, President Oklahoma Numismatic Association

Hey Boot, good eye. However, if the doubling you are seeing is on the outside of the wreath, than it is more than likely not a doubled die but extra outlines or die deterioration. Look for doubling inside the devices, like the veins in the leafs or doubling of the leaf edges inside the wreath. Some DDRs do show doubling outside the wreath, but these will also show doubling inside. An example would be the 1889 DDR-003 or S-37.

Currently, there are 5 known DDRs for 1892, and we have pictures of four of them: DDR-001, DDR-002, DDR-003, and DDR-004.

KurtS and Boot like this.
  4. RBBDoughty

Ah, I should also add that whizzing can cause extra outlines that resemble die deterioration.

Boot likes this.
  5. Boot

Boot Junior Member

Thanks, all very helpful. I will have to wait to have the coin, to get a better look at the detail. Glad to have the references. Thank you RBBDoughty.

RBBDoughty likes this.
  6. trussell

trussell Active Member

Whizzing????

7. Boot

Boot Junior Member

Whizzing is applying a coating of material onto the coin, to give it a luster that has likely worn off due to circulation or cleaning.

8. Boot

Boot Junior Member

Ugh, that is a consideration. I thought the toning looked genuine here. I will have to get the coin into my hands, and check the reverse under a loop/light to see if this is A genuine DDR or just old die. I hope not whizzing.

RBBDoughty likes this.
  9. RBBDoughty

I'll post a whizzed IHC whenever I next find one. It is when someone uses a rotary tool to clean the coin, such as a dremel tool. Whizzing is regarded as the absolute worst thing that can happen to a coin, and some collectors consider them as evil as counterfeits. A whizzed coin has altered surfaces, and is often regarded as destroyed. The barber quarter in this thread is a good example. You can see a faint extra outline under the chin, and in front of the nose. Also, you can see spots around the stars and under the date that show the original coin surface, where the the dremel tool was unable to reach.

Boot likes this.
  10. RBBDoughty

KurtS posted this example of die deterioration in another thread. It is a perfect example of genuine deterioration of the die.

[​IMG]

KurtS and Boot like this.
  11. CMM

CMM New Member

Hello,
    How do you safely clean a coin?
    I have what I am sure is an Indian Head Penny that is covered in a hard substance that makes reading it impossible. My daughter had found it on the playground.
    Thanks

12. Spud Koolzip

Spud Koolzip Member

BTW, this is a cent. The U.S. never issued pennies.

Boot likes this.
  13. Boot

Boot Junior Member

Noted, i.e. cent.

Draft saved Draft deleted