1892 Barber Half? (Paid Under spot price for 10 barber coins!)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by StevieB, Nov 17, 2017.

1. StevieB

StevieB Active Member

I bought 5 quarters and 5 half dollars for $24.94 total, I doubt the 1892 half will have any mint mark but this was still a great deal.

My question is does it even look like a 1892 half dollar? my eyes are not great but that would be awesome if it was a 1892 :-D also the pic's are pretty bad:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TURN-OF-TH...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Also it was suppose to come yesterday but EVERY! single time I get a item for cheap/below spot I always get the package late - I guess the price to pay eh?

Oldrdawg likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

I looked through the pictures and i can't see any 1892 halves... I do see 2 1892 quarters however.
    The pictures are absolutely horrific, so i could be wrong.

4. StevieB

StevieB Active Member

@ace71499

Thanks so much for your reply.

I agree the pictures are really bad, I hope I get the package today I will post pic's if I do.

Ether way ~$45 of most likely junk silver for $24.94 was hard to pass up.

I would crap myself if it was a 1892 half dollar with small o

but I am not that lucky haha.

5. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Generally the coins in those things have been heavily polished. Kind of hard to tell as they appear so dark but they look to have been cleaned at some point likely before being placed in the holder and than retoned. Which half are you speculating about as I don't really see one that I think is a 1892?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    Oldrdawg likes this.
  6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

No idea (I'm using remote access, which makes the images even harder to see), but the only reason you got that lot at that price was that I didn't get there first. ;)

Usually displays like that are full of heavily worn and/or harshly cleaned common-date coins, but not always!

Let us know what you find when you get it, please...

Oldrdawg likes this.
  7. StevieB

StevieB Active Member

@jeffB

Yea you gotta be quick on these - they sell within seconds, which is why I have a buy first read later type attitude, TBH you would think this would be bad, but so far it has been working out for me.

I will post pictures if I get it today - also I figured they would be really worn or cleaned, but paying 60% of spot is a win no matter what :-D

Oldrdawg likes this.
  8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

great deal!
    way below silver melt

9. StevieB

StevieB Active Member

Yea the coins are ugly and the half dollars have glue type residue on the back with some paper stuck.

1898-s half dollar
    1898-p half dollar
    1898 (maybe d? I cant see anything, too much glue/paper in back) half dollar
    1900-s half dollar
    1900-p half dollar

1892-o quarter
    1896-p quarter
    1898-p quarter
    1899-o quarter
    1900-p quarter

@-jeffB @ace71499 @Blissskr

Attached Files:

Blissskr and C-B-D like this.
  10. -jeffB

Barbers worn that much are probably short 5% or more on weight. Doesn't matter; you still came out way ahead, and could easily sell them for more than "melt value for $3.75 in 90% silver".

Great catch!

11. StevieB

StevieB Active Member

@-jeffB

Thanks so much, if they were not clean I think the s and o mint ones would make this more worthwhile lol - but agreed it was a great buy :)

12. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Acetone will remove the glue without damaging the coin.
    1892-O is a good date quarter, 1899-O also good. (Better than melt)
    1898-S half is good. there are no D mint marks until 1906, 1898-O would be a key date.

-jeffB likes this.
  13. StevieB

StevieB Active Member

@Michael K

Thanks for the info - I have no clue if it is a 1898-o would be nice to have a key date :-D

I will buy some acetone, should I dip all these barber coins in them?

These coins are already "cleaned" correct? I am not a coin grader and basically still learning :)

14. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

They may be cleaned, which is bad.
    You can put one coin at a time in the acetone (in a jar with a lid).
    Change the solution frequently with new coins.
    Pure acetone at Walmart (nail polish remover area) is like $3.
    The fumes are not good, do it in a ventilated area. Although a tight cap on a glass jar helps with that a little.
    It should dissolve the glue and not harm the surface of the coin, and then
    rinse with distilled water. (Although tap water prob. won't hurt these coins.)
    Lightly pat dry, don't rub.
    I don't know how long it will take to dissolve the glue. An hour or two?
    Overnight?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    StevieB likes this.
  15. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

The only way to know if you got a deal or not is to weigh the coins and multiply the weight times .9 that will give you CLOSE to the weight of silver.

16. -jeffB

I really don't think he needs a scale to determine whether 6.7x FV is a deal. :) I've weight some Barbers much slicker than these, and I've never seen anywhere near that much weight loss.

And again, Barbers go for more than melt, even if they're heavily worn or cleaned.

Draft saved Draft deleted