1892 Austrian Florin

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Seascape, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Seascape

Seascape U.S. & World Collector

I just wanna show off my new coin I bought today. I think I did good? 20210224_145812.jpg 20210224_145747.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Florida girls have to love walking there sharks.

beautiful excellent condition for its age looks MS i think you did just fine.

4. potty dollar 1878

If you didn't pay over $100 I would say you did good.

5. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Nice. I love the eagles on these.
    I only have 1, an 1891 that I paid melt for in November 2015
    1891 Austria Florin.jpg

I also have a 1915 Restrike of the 1 Ducat that I picked up for melt before gold started shooting up.
    1915 Austria 1 Ducat.jpg

Seascape likes this.
  6. Seascape

It was graded AU $60.00 in my LCS. I started looking at it a week ago on they're site. I took a long lunch today and ran over there..asked to see it. I took it no questions asked.

Do you think they under priced it?

eddiespin likes this.
  7. potty dollar 1878

MS60 $60 thats ngc price I would think more like $50 or a little less.

8. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

You have to be careful with Austrian 19th century silver. A lot of it is quite common in BU. I don't know anything specific about the Florin, however.

Seascape likes this.
  9. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I think it is overpriced TBH.
    There are a few sold on ebay that are around $30.
    Yours has some rim dings like mine. Mine has some dark toning but if I were to dip mine, I believe it would look just as nice as yours.

10. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis College Dorm Collector Supporter

probably overpriced, but that is a caveat of shopping with an LCS that has overhead to cover.

comparing prices at an LCS to e-bay is depressingly sad and shows why local community around the hobby is seemingly small. Just my observation

Seascape likes this.
  11. Seascape

Well....crap. oh well. I still had fun chasing it down..taking a long lunch ect!:woot:

I thought about countering with 50... but I pick and choose my battles with them. I try not to haggle every coin. I save that for the 150.00 plus coins mostly. Also usually if we're real far apart I just say nice coin and hand it back.
    As well I am trying to take this foreign stuff less serious. Maybe I should stiffen up a little. I didn't even look at a price guide TBH. In general they are usually fair.

Evan Saltis likes this.
  12. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis College Dorm Collector Supporter

ultimately a good relationship with an LCS is better than getting a coin on ebay and never buying from the seller again

13. Seascape

EBay is ok sometimes. I'm very old school and still appreciate an old coin shop that I can sit at the counter and look at multiple examples ...and kick it with another old coin guy. It just does something for me and I expect to pay a little for it.

Evan Saltis likes this.
  14. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Supporter! Supporter

That is one truth that cannot be easily understated. I mean where else are you going to find a complete set of Canadian Half Dollars from 1911 to 1936 for a little over melt value?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  15. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Lovely coin.

Seascape likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted