1892 25c "Devices Outlined"

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by KBBPLL, Mar 25, 2022.

1. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

I ran into this coin on GC and thought it was interesting - I've never seen a "Devices Outlined" detail grade before. Seems like they usually just say "tooled." A very poor job of it, I might add.

1141307-1.jpg
    1141307-2.jpg

NSP likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Darned frat boys again.......

4. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I say, "What's the difference the coin is low grade and damaged". I would Pass seeing that. :(

SuperFlower likes this.
  5. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

I have no interest in purchasing it; I had just never seen that described on a slab before.

6. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Thank Goodness! Iv'e never seen that either. ;)

SuperFlower, Cheech9712 and Mr.Q like this.
  7. ifthevamzarockin

ifthevamzarockin Well-Known Member

I have seen it before.

8. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Some TPG was out to lunch. I believe he or she got the GOOD right but left the rest to a poor subjective guess, in my opinion.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  9. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

We the enter "Genuine" why even do anything with it? Is a "Genuine" worse than a "Good"? I have a coin that my father gave me. It does identify the coin, but to just state "Genuine"? I don't know why they bother.

10. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

First time I've seen that note on a details label. Thanks for the post.

11. charley

charley Well-Known Member

Genuine is intended to replace the old method of body bagging an original coin, due to damage, so it can at least be an "also ran" designation, instead of the collector/submitter paying the wampum and getting a little cheapo flexible bag with a coin in it, back. I know I was the instigator. That is not braggadocio it just is. And, what happens? It ended up making a market for such pieces, for collections, studying, etc. It serves a purpose.

Yes, the holder could have stated "Tooled", but it is a heck of a lot more helpful to point out where, in such a worn piece.
    My opinion....not worth much.

MIGuy and ifthevamzarockin like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted