1891s morgan...score!!!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by heavycam.monstervam, Feb 27, 2015.

1. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Hey guys, i seem to be getting pretty good @ this coin hobby thingamajig. I just picked this coin up 4 well below bid... Atleast i think so... What grade would you assign this one??? It is a real blazer!! CAM01473.jpg CAM01474.jpg CAM01469.jpg CAM01468.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. heavycam.monstervam

Oh and ill tell you what i paid after a few grades get posted.... im still in shock!!

4. kazuma78

kazuma78 Supporter! Supporter

Looks really clean but hairlines can be hard to see under the frosty toning without coin in hand. I'd say ms65 at least if it looks in hand like the pictures make it look.

5. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Definitely clean-looking surfaces, but the reverse toning pattern (darker near the devices with very clean fields) is a bit of a concern. (Possible sign of cleaning.) It's also kind of hard to tell if I'm seeing toning or marks on the cheek area. I'd spitball it at MS64+, but I'd want to see it in hand before committing to that. :)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  6. heavycam.monstervam

In hand it looks better... the luster is BEAMING on this and i actually like the mixture of green blue magenta toning it has mixing w the luster.... I paid $50 for it and THATS why i scour the gold and silver meltdown shops in my city....This is 1 of many lucky pickups ive had.... U never know what u will find!! Sadly someone got hosed when they sold this! Btw there is a bag mark/ hit on the cheek but its not AT ALL distracting and its actually a graze not a hit!!

7. Paul M.

Great score for $50. You could probably even get that out of it even if it were cleaned.

8. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Big dollar difference between 64 & 65. 64 around 275$ then jumps to around 1600$ in 65 PCGS.

9. heavycam.monstervam

Marcus thats why i think pcgs would grade this 64+ maybe... its RIGHT THERE @ 65 and who knows.....the grader may fall in love with it like i did and give it.a bump because of luster...pics dont do it justice

10. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

From the images looks like MS65 to me.

11. Paul M.

Even if it went 63 because the grader's wife left him and his car got towed that morning, you could probably still flip it for a profit after grading fees. Have you checked for VAMs?

12. heavycam.monstervam

I know what ypu are saying paul but ive seen MANY a morgan with this same toning pattern... some of them were cleaned some werent... the cleaned ones were all shiny and had NO luster remaining the original ones(like mine) still had all of the original luster.... if i were a better photographer you would be able to tell...sadly i am not

13. heavycam.monstervam

Havent checked the vam # yet but im pretty good @ it and CANT WAIT to do so!! Thats the fun part of all this!!! Atleast the best part in my opinion

14. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I'd guess 64. That frosty luster is usually not well rewarded by the TPGs. With better pictures, I may revise my guess.

15. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Looks 65 to me.

16. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

17. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Originally I said MS-65, if I wanted to be Hardass Hank I would say MS-63.:D

The only thing that concerns me -- and I'm not sure it's a grading thing because I am not good/great at grading in general or with Morgans in particular -- is that shadowy outline that the eagle has on his top half...also similar dark (toning ?) near "States of America" and on the obverse near the rim and dentils.

Regardless, a fantastic pickup for $50. Easily worth $250, maybe $1,500. Congrats.

18. heavycam.monstervam

Goldfinger what you are seeing IS in fact toning on the upper reverse... i didnt try to capture it really... as its not at all the ugly brown/black shown here but more of a green blue magenta russet.. some dont prefer toning on coins but i do, as it adds eye appeal and indicates original skin most of the time..

19. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

It's weird that it seems to protrude from around the eagles top torso, as if someone drew an outline. But I'll take your word that it's toning.

I drive past places like that all the time. Maybe I should stop in sometime and see what they got.:D

20. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Really?

I was going to lean on the AU58 side due to the fact that the high spot appear lusterless.

miedbe7 likes this.
  21. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

That isn't wear on the eagle's breast and feathers, is it?

Draft saved Draft deleted