1891 Morgan in PCI slab

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Razz, Aug 15, 2021.

1. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

This is a tough call for me, but probably not for others with more experience in this series. The red book on Morgans by QDB says the 1891 is usually seen in "low quality". This one has some wear and has been expertly dipped or is a weak strike and MS61ish. Pretty decent luster with no breaks across the high points as far as I can tell. DSCN3033~2.JPG DSCN3034~2.JPG DSCN3036~2.JPG DSCN3035~2.JPG

potty dollar 1878, dwhiz and jtlee321 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

53 looks about right to me.

johnmilton and Razz like this.
  4. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Nothing wrong with that, looks great and correct grade. IMHO

Razz likes this.
  5. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

It is a weak strike and lightly circulated. Maybe AU55.

Razz and longshot like this.
  6. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I don't think the coin would grade 61, but I do think it will grade 58. In any case, it doesn't belong in a holder. It's more of a 2x2 coin in my opinion.

Razz and longshot like this.
  7. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I think they got the grade correct.

Razz likes this.
  8. COOPER12

COOPER12 Well-Known Member

I think its graded correctly. It appears to have a clashed N by the neck though not sure the vam. Cool coin.

Razz likes this.
  9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Very nice looking but I’m more at a 55. She does have a weak strike.

Razz likes this.
  10. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Thanks all. Flat breast and hair above the ear is weak and or has wear. Thinking about switching out my 7070 Morgan with this one.

dwhiz likes this.
  11. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I agree with a low AU grade. I would have gone AU 50, but 53 is certainly in the ballpark. They got it right.

Razz likes this.
  12. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The grade is correct, but the 1891 Morgan is hardly a coin you need to do handsprings to buy. Morgan Dollars from the early 1890s were often not well made, but unless you need one in MS-65, anything up to MS-63 is not that hard to find.

13. johnmilton

If this is for a type set, the 1881-S is a lot prettier and is quite common.

Razz likes this.
  14. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

A couple of slightly better photos. I see the lack of feather details on the breast and in the hair. My problem is determining how much of that is from a weak strike or from wear or from a combination of both. Strangely, sometimes I find it easier to see the luster breaks in photos than in hand. DSCN3040~2.JPG DSCN3039~2.JPG

COOPER12 likes this.
  15. CamaroDMD

I see very clear luster breaks on the ear, hair above the ear, and on the Eagles breast. Yes, the strike is a bit weak but there is clear wear as well.

johnmilton and Razz like this.
  16. johnmilton

The thing you need to do is to be able to spot mint luster. You need to be able to distinguish mint luster from cleaned surfaces. That is not easy, especially for an inexperienced collector.

When a coin is stuck, under many tons of pressure, the metal flows like a liquid. The finished coin has surfaces that play with the light, which is often called "cartwheel luster." When you swirl a Mint State coin under a light, you can see it. If there is a break in the luster, the coin is not Mint State. If there are dull spots ("duller gray") on the design devices, it is probably a rub.

This is how you learn to distinguish between wear and a weak strike. It is not the easiest skill to learn, but it is very valuable. And sadly, some people never get the hang of it.

17. CamaroDMD

I have found on truly poorly struck coins...there is even muted luster in the poorly struck areas as the die never impacted that part of the metal. I've been told before that with these coins...they key is to examine the muted areas. If the surface is glass smooth, it's been worn smooth. If it's very slightly rough it's original.

COOPER12 and Razz like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted