1891 CC

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by txguy, May 3, 2020.

1. txguy

txguy Active Member

what’s a fair price? you think the dark background takes away from the coin or adds to the attractiveness?
    9EEAEA08-204D-4AA4-8832-106DC03E9E90.jpeg 286C9788-DABC-4464-B351-130A12E0E904.jpeg 35BBD2B8-BC90-429B-8609-94689F61A286.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

I will nearly always choose the dollar that has some color. That said, I see the toning here as only a slight positive. What is going on on the cheek does not help this coin out IMO.
    The coin looks slightly overgraded to me too.

4. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

My thoughts as well.

5. txguy

txguy Active Member

the gentleman is asking $850.

6. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

+1

7. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

CDN says an MS64 is at $1,150. PCGS puts it at over $1,000. I’d check Heritage Auctions and eBay for sale results.

8. txguy

txguy Active Member

about 850-900 on the bay. but if some think the coin is a grade lower then that’s not good.

Santinidollar likes this.
  9. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

Not much appeal for me for the grade...Very low end 64 in my opinion.

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I'd look elsewhere. In other words, wait for a better coin. I do like the reverse better than the obverse. But even the reverse has a black spot by the Eagles beak and a black line through the right wing to the rim through the star.

The obverse has dark, almost black, toning on the rim. Personally, I can't get past her cheek and the coloring behind Liberty's cap and it's starting under her neck.

Given the price range I would wait for a better example.

deadmancoins, Zowy4 and txguy like this.
  11. Gregg702

Gregg702 Active Member

Yeah, I would avoid that one. Eye appeal matters more than grade here.

12. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

I concur with my fellow industry professionals on the over grading assessment, however, I’d like to add that the worst part about this coin is that awful spot on the reverse.

Dark toning is also not for everyone, and coins like those usually take longer to sell and may even underperform at auction.

So we have an over graded Morgan, dark toning that appeals to a minority of collectors, and a distracting black spot on the reverse. Not even a PCGS holder can save this one.

txguy likes this.
  13. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

Thanks for the chuckle...:D

14. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Do you like the coin, or the price?

15. txguy

txguy Active Member

thank you gentleman for your advice! i let it go.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  16. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Me thinks you made a wise decision. Just be patient and the right one will come along. I've been looking for years for a number of coins. I'm down to 2 in one series and it's been 4 years. One day the right one will be there for me. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted