1890 Morgan

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Wade Elliott, Oct 2, 2021.

1. Wade Elliott

Wade Elliott Active Member

So I posted this coin before. I understand it's been cleaned. I don't understand how it looks better than most from the year. The advice I got was it's not worth sending it in for grading. If there's a link to read please post it. 20211001_234250.jpg 20211001_234303.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Wade ? Can you be more specific man ?Thanks, that would help greatly.

Wade Elliott likes this.
  4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

It would come back improperly cleaned if you sent it off to be graded. Not worth the fee.

Vess1 and Wade Elliott like this.
  5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

It might not pass muster at a TPG due to the aforementioned cleaning, and get a "details" grade rather than a "straight" grade. That being said, there's nothing wrong with the eye appeal of that piece.

So yeah, maybe it would be a waste of money to send it off, if it's only gonna come back with an "xx details/Cleaned" label, on a technicality. That might not make financial sense, due to the expenses involved. But regardless of the technical details, it's still a handsome coin.

Wade Elliott and Inspector43 like this.
  6. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Good eye appeal - I would leave it alone.

Wade Elliott likes this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Leave it alone. It has great eye appeal but the cleaning would get a details coin.

Wade Elliott likes this.
  8. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

It looks better than most because it toned and took on color. They won't straight grade it though because the surface is stripped from a cleaning.

Wade Elliott likes this.
  9. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Yes, like the general appearance, but no "cents" (wasted) sending it for grading if it won't grade...and it won't.

Wade Elliott likes this.
  10. Wade Elliott

Wade Elliott Active Member

Apologies. My intent was to ask why a details/cleaned coin wouldn't get a fair shot at being graded. That ? was answered.

11. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

In a loose condition somebody might buy that. Once it's in a details holder you can't hardly give a coin away to a dealer unless its something really rare. They just tell you they can't sell it. Or somebody will buy it off you cheap and crack it back out. Grading costs too much to fool around with anything that doesn't have an excellent chance of at least straight grading, let alone getting the high grade you hope for.

I just sent in a buffalo nickel that I guessed was at least a MS62 and it got graded AU details-Whizzed. On an early bird order with a scratch resistant holder, it cost $43 to get that coin in an unsellable holder. Then there was the order ($10) fee plus shipping costs down and back. If I knew then what I know now, I would not have sent it and I though it had a great chance of coming back MS.

Some stuff from the late 1700s to early 1800s that is very rare, they once in a while let slip through as a straight grade (but they probably shouldn't). If there's an issue with a Morgan, as common as they are, it'll have no chance.

Wade Elliott likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted