1890 Morgan Vam help needed....thanks in advance

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Paddy54, May 23, 2020.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Going through a box of better condition Morgans this one caught my eye.
    The date is 1890 which looks to have been damaged I'm thinking at the mint, as there is some sort of the same type of damage on the reverse.
    The date looks as if it has been flatten and digits spread, the obv. Stars # 1- 4 and 7-13 are flat.
    The obv. Shows a very lite clash at the neck v
    The Rev.
    Also shows signs of damage as the obv. From exactly the opposite of each other.
    So the olives leaves wreath clusters from the bow to the left 2 clusters are flat. The bow shows signs of a scrape as well the right leaf clusters 2 and 3 o. The right side.
    There is also a very lite clash on the eagles wing that goes north between I N God.

I don't see any clash between the eagel and wreath .
    This is just an unusal piece , the damage I do believe was done at the mint.
    As it occurs opposite on each side....some of the pups on the vam have me confused...so any thoughts...are appreciated. 20200523_154319.jpg 20200523_154355.jpg van 4 I believe the damage still waiting .

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    SorenCoins likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

Not entirely sure about the damage. I have seen letters that look kind of smooshed like this on later die-states of other denominations. Not sure if that's what's going on. I think some closer up images might help for identification. Do you have a loupe to image through?

4. Paddy54

Yes I have a scope and can use the phone cam and light box.
    I'm pretty sure on the vam as major die marker confirms.
    It's just throwing my eye off...as you go from well detail items to scraped like and flatten. It's just hard to explain but in hand flipping the coin it looks scraped.

5. Paddy54

6. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Looks like just a weak strike to me. There's also the possibility that the die was somewhat filled with grease in some of the weak spots that aren't normally weak on Morgans. I don't see a clash mark in the usual places. Another possibility is that it's an uneven planchet, just a hair thin at the upper obverse (opposite lower reverse) where the detail is uncharacteristically weak, but this would be rather hard to determine, and it's by no stretch of the imagination dramatic.

SorenCoins and Paddy54 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted