1890 Morgan grade input—MS65-66...or UNC Details (cleaned cheek)?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by daveg713, Jan 6, 2020.

1. ddddd

ddddd Member

Saying they are very generous is not accurate. The two TPGs are fairly close in the way they grade (in fact NGC is more strict on some designations, like FBL for Franklins).

Some NGC will downgrade at PCGS but some PCGS will downgrade at NGC. Some will upgrade at each service. And plenty would get the same grade.

A big part of the reason that PCGS coins sell for more is marketing. Enough dealers and collectors have pushed them to the top. If a coin was graded X at NGC and then crosses at the same grade X at PCGS, the price increase can’t be explained by generous standards considering both companies graded the coin the same.

Another interesting thing is that when one looks at world coins, NGC coins tend to do better. And plenty of world collectors say PCGS can be generous with grading (as seen in a recent thread on here).

Paul M. and daveg713 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GenX Enthusiast

GenX Enthusiast Forensic grammatician

I see no evidence of incorrect cleaning, and therefore am very interested to see if there was one;) I don't see any marks that would bring the coin down below gem. This looks MUCH cleaner than an average 64, surfacewise.
    I buy from both of these TPGs without preference, based on the coin. I hesitate with anacs and icg, but will still buy nice coins in those holders, no worries.

daveg713 likes this.
  4. jgrinz

jgrinz Senior Member

Has this coin returned from grading yet ???

NewbietoCoins likes this.
  5. daveg713

daveg713 New Member

Literally just opened the box: UNC Details—Cleaned. {sigh} I knew this after checking online, but I wanted to try and identify what I'd missed before posting here.

So with it finally back in hand, possibly the reverse fields are cleaned, as @jgrinz pointed out? But through various magnification, it still looks good to me. So I'm having a tough time pinning it on that.

Maybe it's the cheek I was concerned about? That's possible, I guess. A subtle clean/polish, perhaps? Detecting this cleaning is obviously well beyond my pay grade—one of those results that calls into question all you thought you knew....

I've sent in coins I was close to 100% certain were cleaned after examining them through various levels of magnification, but it still made financial sense to get them slabbed as details coins. But some of them have surprisingly come back straight-graded.

Bottom line, almost certainly this coin truly is cleaned and I simply lack the experience to see it in front of me. I've sent coins back for upgrades with some success when I thought they had a decent chance. But has anyone ever gotten a details grade, questioned it, cracked it out and sent it back—and gotten it returned straight-graded?

All the best,
    Dave

6. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Dave, I think the luster looks wrong and that the coin was cleaned/dipped. I wouldn’t question the Details grade and I sure would not submit it again.

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Can you post pictures with the grading?

8. Jayyk38

Jayyk38 Member

Most likely over-dipped, not wiped. I bought a '34 Peace one time which had a similar look to your Morgan. Subtle, sort of subdued luster but very clean l, no distracting Mark's. Sent it in and came back cleaned! Tough call on these! I'd leave it in the holder, sell it as is and find a problem free one!

9. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

So many sellers are dipping their coins causing unsuspecting buyers to waste their money. What to do ???? I suggest to buy only slabbed coins that are proved to be clean (not meant to be a pun).

Dave

NewbietoCoins likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted