1890 CC Morgan - About Uncirculated

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Andrew G., Mar 30, 2015.

1. Andrew G.

Andrew G. Active Member

Hi Experts,

I'm curious about this coin I'm holding. Is this coin About Uncirculated 53 or higher? Would you recommend I get this coin graded? I believe I spent $200 on this coin.
    1890cc - 1.jpg

1890cc -2.jpg

1890cc -3.jpg 1890cc -4.jpg
    -Andrew

Coin-Dude likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Looks like you might have a VAM 2 there, left tilting mint mark.

Can you take pictures of the coin outside the flip? I can't judge the luster or the wear very well.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Yes, and be sure to take the photos from directly overhead rather than at an angle.

Chris

5. Andrew G.

Andrew G. Active Member

6. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Sure looks cleaned to me-- plenty of hairlines and gritty places on the obverse. Will not grade-- AU details, if genuine. I cannot comment on genuineness based on the quality of photos. That is a date that should not be bought raw, unless the collector is experienced.

7. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Hard to say if it will grade from pictures alone. There are legitimate concerns regarding hairlines and overall whiteness, but static lighting in a still photo can be deceptive sometimes. It does look real, though.

8. Andrew G.

Andrew G. Active Member

I agree beer lover. The overall whiteness is lacking and there's a lot of hairlines in the fields. I decided to get the coin graded (NGC). I'm wonder if it will come back with a grade.

9. Morgandude11

It is cleaned. Trust me on that. Authenticity cannot be commented upon, as there are great fakes that would pass photographic examination. However, there are circular hairlines and a lifeless surface that indicates a mechanical cleaning--not to mention pitting on the obverse fields and cheek. It was at the least, harshly cleaned. Save your money with NGC.

10. Andrew G.

Andrew G. Active Member

Thanks! You live and learn...

11. Morgandude11

It won't grade. I would guess it is real, but it is a details coin--the surfaces have major abrasions, and deep nicks--not just from circulation, but cleaning. Typical of a raw CC Morgan Dollar that was buffed up--I see this all the time.

12. Andrew G.

Andrew G. Active Member

Thanks Morgandude! I appreciate your advice and your time.

13. Andrew G.

Andrew G. Active Member

Final Note - The actual purchase price was $136. It was purchased from Ebay from rojo-86. I reviewed the other coins that the seller is selling and they look all washed out. I've learned an expensive lesson.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  14. Morgandude11

Just looked at his stuff for sale. They all have tell-tale scratches, swirls, and over dipped look to all of the Silver coins. He has an 1884s Morgan that he calls "high grade," and it is obviously cleaned to make it look as if it were uncirculated, which it is not. That date is an extreme conditional rarity. Same goes for a 1928 Peace Dollar he has--good date, and obviously cleaned. All of his stuff has that dull, luster-lacking sign of dipping, and many of the coins have the swirls and scratches of altered surfaces. He's not a reputable source, IMHO.

Andrew G. likes this.
  15. Morgandude11

Here is a learning experience. Here's his recent feedback from those collectors who actually have learned something. Notice a pattern? If one buys on eBay, make sure to find a reputable seller:

[​IMG] BUYER BEWARE!!!! Coin was graded AU and "cleaned" - NOT Mint State / "MS" Buyer:
    t***t ( 230[​IMG])
    During past month
    1889 O BU UNC MORGAN SILVER DOLLAR #5667 MS+++ COIN US MINT RARE KEY DATE ESTATE (#391082815780) US $46.00 View Item
    [​IMG] BUYER BEWARE!!!! Coin was graded AU and "cleaned" - NOT Mint State / "MS" Buyer:
    t***t ( 230[​IMG])
    During past month
    1896 O BU UNC MORGAN SILVER DOLLAR #5453 MS+++ COIN US MINT RARE KEY DATE ESTATE (#141599263561) US $102.50 View Item
    t***t ( 230[​IMG])
    During past month
    1889 MORGAN US SILVER DOLLAR #4313 BRILLIANT UNCIRCULATED MS++ MINT STATE ESTATE (#391055032882) US $41.00 View Item
    t***t ( 230[​IMG])
    During past month
    1922 PEACE US SILVER DOLLAR #3492 BRILLIANT UNCIRCULATED MS+++ MINT STATE ESTATE (#391040000278) US $28.08 View Item
    [​IMG] item sold was not the grade as advertised Buyer:
    g***7 ( 216[​IMG])
    During past month
    1884 S MORGAN SILVER DOLLAR #20818 HIGH GRADE COIN US MINT RARE KEY DATE ESTATE (#391046059065)
    US $540.00
    Best Offer Price was Accepted[​IMG] View Item
    [​IMG] do not wast youir money Buyer:
    g***7 ( 216[​IMG])
    During past month
    1901 MORGAN SILVER DOLLAR #3759 $ HIGH GRADE COIN $ US MINT RARE KEY DATE ESTATE (#201276811423)
    US $310.00
    Best Offer Price was Accepted[​IMG] View Item
    [​IMG] Photo looks sharper than actual coin received. Lots of wear AU 55 at best Buyer:
    1***0 ( 15[​IMG])
    During past 6 months
    1921 D MORGAN SILVER DOLLAR #2167 $ HIGH GRADE COIN $ US MINT RARE DATE ESTATE (#391016139754) US $30.06 View Item
    [​IMG] Not key date...not rare....bad coin...bad seller Buyer:
    e***r ( 141[​IMG])
    During past 6 months
    1881 O MORGAN SILVER DOLLAR #1483 $ HIGH GRADE COIN US MINT RARE KEY DATE ESTATE (#391007085798) US $32.50 View Item

16. Andrew G.

Andrew G. Active Member

Agreed. Read the feedback!

17. Bill1517

Bill1517 Active Member

AU 50 cleaned

18. Andrew G.

Andrew G. Active Member

NGC Graded the Coin AU53. Cert - 2657855-001

19. Morgandude11

They got away with that one. That coin was cleaned. NGC's mistake.

Draft saved Draft deleted