1889 Wheat Penny Worth

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Matt Spangler, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Matt Spangler

Matt Spangler New Member

So I came across this 1889 Wheat in an old box. Would this happen to have any worth?

Were the gashes on it man-made/or vending machine related?

C76CC044-0FFD-40BA-A3A3-08985541512D.jpeg
    6450ACEE-263B-42A3-B5C0-E32B482DF072.jpeg

kaparthy and Monstermommy like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

That is not a Wheat Cent.. It is known as the Indian Head cent with a Wreath.. not Wheat stalks.

Your Indian Head Cent is damaged. Man made damage. Not a Mint error and only worth 1 Cent.

Matt Spangler likes this.
  4. Matt Spangler

Matt Spangler New Member

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

A damaged Indian Head Cent. Wheat Cents were first minted in 1909 and ended in 1958.

6. Monstermommy

Monstermommy Active Member

Its still pretty neat,maybe it can be your first coin ,if you begin to collect!

7. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

The damage was not from a vending machine, but from some other machine. Think about it and think in terms of living history. Your coin is from 1889, the steam age. Electricity was just coming in. These coins circulated fairly well even until about 1940 or so. The Lincoln Cent came in 1909, of course, but you could still find the occasional IHC (Indianhead Cent) in change even into the 1950s.

Someone used this in a machine as a shim or a block to stop the action.

Have you ever worked in a machine shop?

I know that PaddyMan98 thinks it is worth just 1 cent, but even a damaged IHC is a dollar item in a junk box. And for me, it is the story of the life of the coin. Obviously an equivalent coin without damage would be more desirable to a collector, but it is still an artifact of a time. I would never spend it for a cent.

Draft saved Draft deleted