1889-S Morgan : grade help (rim ding question)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by GeorgeM, Nov 15, 2019.

1. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

This Morgan has a pair of minor rim dings at 7:00 and some chatter on Liberty's chin. Plus, the toning is rather dark. Would the rim dings factor in to how you grade the coin? 20191115_121229.jpg 20191115_121405.jpg What numeric grade would you assign?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

details...

4. GeorgeM

Really? With dings as minor as those? Ok. Which details grade would you assign?

5. GeorgeM

Better pics (sorry, that dark carbon silver is tough to focus on):

Attached Files:

6. mynamespat

Honestly, I never even got to the rim dings. Coin looks cleaned and environmentally damaged.

Paddy54 and tibor like this.
  7. GeorgeM

If that looks cleaned to you, remind me not to hire your maid service!

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

There is absolutely no luster......XF at best.

Chris

9. jgrinz

jgrinz Senior Member

Yeah something is wrong with the obverse 'texture' of the coin.
    Reverse has been cleaned.
    Pictures are important in figuring out this coin. If removing from 2x2 is an option and take better pics would help.
    XF details

GeorgeM likes this.
  10. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Once again another whom ask a question and since they aren't hearing what pleases them .....they come back with remarks as the ops post #6.

George this is your "MO" on every post! You buy damaged ,detailed coins, aka JUNK post them ....and no matter what the experenced members tell you it ruffles your feathers!
    Finial answer! Detailed grade rim dings and eviromental damage, value melt, as no one in their right mind who knew anything about coins,wouldn't purchase that coin.
    It is a problem coin with no resolve to fix it....

tibor likes this.
  11. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Removing the coin from the holder would help. I think that has something to do with how the first pics look.

GeorgeM likes this.
  12. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

13. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I’ll put it another way. The coin has received a cleaning attempt that failed. It has zero luster. The rim dings are not minor and could keep it from grading alone. Don’t waste time and money with garbage like this.

Paddy54 and tibor like this.
  14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The coin was cleaned a long time ago. There is no Mint luster despite the lack of wear. It has refined dark and if graded, I think it would get a Details grade with no point grade assigned.

tibor likes this.
  15. GeorgeM

Paddy, I didn't post anything that deserves your harsh reaction. My OP asked for opinions about grade and whether minor rim dings like these (which are on an edge corner and do not reach the denticles) would affect grade. At no point did I challenge anyone's right to have an opinion or claim the coin is more than it is.

I don't know if this coin has been cleaned, but I do believe it has unsightly toning. The response of "details" was unhelpful and I asked for clarity (as xf details is quite different from AG details). If you ask "how many miles per gallon does this car get?" and someone replies "87 octane", it's not much of an answer, is it?

On a related note, a coin doesn't have to be blast white to deserve a high MS grade. The fascination that some collectors have with luster often misses the point, IMO. A Morgan can have great luster and still have high point wear that would keep it below MS61. Likewise, a weak strike could technically be MS65 and still lack the detail and eye appeal of an MS63 coin that was struck with fresh dies.

16. mynamespat

A coin which is darkly toned has not been cleaned?
    You asked for a numeric grade and I told you that isn't going to happen. Then you got snarky. So I left you alone to go make some junk coin seller very happy.

It's more like if somebody asked how many miles per gallon a car gets and someone responds, "none". You ask why and they say, "that car is broken down and irreparable."

Go buy (or just go to a coin shop and observe) some coins that have already been graded, with wonderful surfaces, across a variety of grades.

17. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

I think some of you guys are being a bit hard on this coin. Probably based on what the first pics look like. But I have had similar effects on decent coins when trying to shoot through 2x2s. I'll agree it probably has seen some degree of cleaning at some point and the toning isnt very attractive. But it is a little better date and definitely worth more than melt. In spite of some of the comments, there does seem to be traces of luster in the crevices, not inconsistent with an XF40 grade. Yes, perhaps there is too much detail left for the amount of visible luster. I'd need to see the coin in hand before condemning it as harshly as some here have done. I know we just have the photos to go by, but these remind me of some of my efforts where the pics look worse than the coin does in hand. Anyhow, aside from the surface issues and back to the rim dings, a circulated coin can get away with minor stuff, but I do think these would probably hurt this coin at a TPG, either details it or downgrade it. JMHO

GeorgeM likes this.
  18. GeorgeM

Oh, be careful what you ask for. I have yet to unleash full "snark" mode.

Draft saved Draft deleted