1889 Morgan Silver Dollar, no mint mark

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by visp, Jan 2, 2012.

1. visp

visp New Member

Hello everyone! My grandfather gave me this coin a long time ago and it has not been cleaned since I got it. I don't plan on selling it but I would like to know what the condition could be classified as, as well as what it could be worth? Also, is there any way to clean the coin without decreasing its value? Any help is much appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Welcome to the neighborhood!

Unfortunately, it appears that this coin has been improperly cleaned, and it is completely devoid of luster. That said, it would only be worth the melt value of the silver content which is .77344 oz.

Chris

4. old_morgans

old_morgans New Member

If they are not professionally cleaned, it takes away from the value very much.
    Mint Marks
    A deciding factor in the value of many coins is the place of mintage. There will be a small mint mark on coins made at the Denver (D), New Orleans (O), San Francisco (S), and Carson City (CC) mints. The coins made in Philadelphia have no mint mark until recently, when a (P) was added. Gold coins dated 1838-1861 may have been made in Charlotte (C), or Dahlonega (D). West Point is the newest mint, Bullion and Commemorative coins made there have a (W) mint mark.

Cleaning coins
    DO NOT CLEAN YOUR COINS! Just like any antique piece of furniture, or painting, the original surfaces of a coin are much more desirable by collectors than altered or damaged surfaces. As a result, cleaned coins are worth significantly less money than wholly original coins. Even though a coin is dark in color, does not mean that it is less valuable. The metal in coins often oxidizes and produces a wide array of colors called toning. Some collectors hunt for wholly original coins with this type of toning.

Hope this helps...................

5. visp

visp New Member

I see, it's a shame that it hasn't been properly cleaned, but I will of course still keep it. Thank you very much for your quick and informative answers!

6. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Actually, many feel cleaning coins is never a good thing, whether done by someone who knows what they're doing or someone who doesn't.

FYI, the lack of a mint mark means it was struck in Philadelphia.

Welcome to CT ;)

7. visp

visp New Member

Interesting, in the watch collector's community I often see people restoring their vintage watches, but comparing these two communities might be like comparing apples to oranges. Thanks! :)

8. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

There's a huge difference between antique time pieces and coins.

9. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

My 2cents

:)EF-Au as for cleaned? only the coin knows for sure.
    but photo can hide things too, to me it looks like a pocket wear to me.
    it may have been your grandpa if so priceless.
    If it was someones lucky coin melt value.
    http://www.kitco.com/market/

10. visp

visp New Member

Thanks for the condition grading! It is possible that he might have carried it around, I will investigate.

Draft saved Draft deleted