1889 Indian Head Cent Double struck

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Eric the Red, Mar 10, 2021.

1. Eric the Red

Eric the Red Well-Known Member

Sorry I only have a scale that measures to the nearest gram. No tenths or hundredths. Do they sell these where I can pick one up driving around town say like Walmart ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Eric the Red

Pocket piece rang a bell with me. It may have been someone's Lucky coin.

yakpoo likes this.
  4. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

If I found a 2021 cent that looked like that, you would have to pry it away! That's why I can't believe the apparent wear is from circulation. It's a very interesting coin!

Eric the Red likes this.
  5. Eric the Red

I ordered a nice coin scale off Amazon which measures .001 grams. It should arrive Wednesday of this coming week. I will post photos of the coin in questions weight as soon as it arrives.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  6. Eric the Red

I ordered a coin scale off Amazon it should arrive Wednesday. I will post photos as soon as it arrives.
    Have a great weekend Michael.

Michael K likes this.
  7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I also feel like it's not an authentic Double Struck Indian Head Cent. There are a lot of these coming out of China unfortunately :(

Sorry.. IMHO

8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Huh? What?.. If authentic that would definitely be Double Struck.. Not a Clip.. ;)

9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Yeah I didn't get that clip thing either. But I didn't want to show my ignorance.
    A clip is missing part of the planchet.

10. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

...I theorize the double-struck portion may actually be recessed enough to have avoided the wear seen on the main coin...but I would definitely defer to @Fred Weinberg ...for his assessment...

If deemed authentic, it is really a super coin. Great set of secondary batch of pics @Eric the Red ...jmho...Spark

Eric the Red and yakpoo like this.
  11. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Great coin, especially if authentic. Welcome to CT @Eric the Red and thank you for becoming a Supporter right out of the gate.

I was out of active collecting for several decades, too, and wish I had found CT before I started on a spending spree about 7-8 years ago.

Steve

capthank and Eric the Red like this.
  12. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I'm with @paddyman98 on this one. I too felt that something wasn't right at first glance. The wear just doesn't make sense to me.

HUH? Back to the books for you. LOL

manny9655 likes this.
  13. Eric the Red

I was thinking the same thing. I tried to capture that in the 2nd batch of photos. Thanks for posting.

Spark1951 likes this.
  14. Eric the Red

You and me both LOL. I believe most coin enthusiast go through that spending spree in the beginning. I guess its a learning experience that's usually very costly, but none the less we all survived it. :) Learning to become wiser with the money and more prudent in our selections. :)

Stevearino likes this.
  15. Eric the Red

The New Slogan for Coin Talk should be;
    "Coin Talk can save you Money!"
    Or
    "Switching to CT can save you 15% or more"
    Maybe we can hire the Gecko for commercials lol

Stevearino and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  16. Eric the Red

17. Eric the Red

18. Eric the Red

Attached Files:

19. Eric the Red

20. Eric the Red

21. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

There's something about this area that I am not sure about. On the genuine coin shown early in the thread this blank area is present on both sides, but on your coin it's only on the obverse and missing on the reverse.
    fake.png

Eric the Red likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted