1889 CC Morgan

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Illinois Newby, Feb 10, 2017.

1. I'm still organizing and found an 1889 CC Morgan. The Red Book says it may be valuable, however, it is in rather bad shape. Is it worth looking into?

Attached Files:

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

yes it is worth looking into, use google and ebay to do some research.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The 1889-CC is quite often counterfeited because of its rarity and value. Have you compared it to those listed on the VAMWorld site?

http://www.vamworld.com/1889-CC+VAMs

Chris

Brett_in_Sacto likes this.
  5. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

The pics aren't really up to definitive thinking, but I have it tentatively as VAM-2 or 2A.

6. cpm9ball

"Give someone a fish, and they will eat for a day. Teach someone how to fish and they will never go hungry."

Chris:):):):)

7. Thanks for the link, I did check it out and find that the coin does indeed have a 9 that is raised, and the mint marks are chubby. Question? Can I send a photo to that site for review?

8. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

You're already talking to some of the people here, that you'd be talking to there. :)

9. Thanks, guess I need to work on getting a better picture, I'm open to suggestions.

10. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

You're getting good advice from these guys. '89CCs in lousy shape can still find buyers.

11. cpm9ball

Bingo!

My problem is that my vision sucks in my old age.

Chris

12. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

I'm with Dave with VAM-2 based on the date position and what looks like the obverse die crack at the date that is seen on the LDS 2A. It looks like the obverse radial die crack inside the letter S as well.

13. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Give someone a fish and they eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he sits in a boat and drinks beer all day. :)

14. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Here is a link to the PCGS site where you can determine the grade of your 1889CC Morgan dollar.
    http://www.pcgs.com/whatiscoingrading

Here is a similar link to the PCGS price guide.
    http://www.pcgs.com/prices/priceguidedetail.aspx?ms=2&pr=1&sp=1&c=744&title=morgan dollar
    The prices shown in the PCGS price guide may indicate full retail prices much like your red book. You may do well to look at finished Ebay auctions for the coin in the same grade.

I believe your coin is genuine & it is certainly worth investigating further. Have fun with it!

15. Thanks so much, I have already had a great deal of fun with what I have plowed threw so far, still enjoying the finds. I will check these out.

Draft saved Draft deleted