1889-CC morgan Smart purchase or REALLY BAD one.

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by ROB OZ, Jan 6, 2013.

1. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Well coins776, you're wrong on both counts. Most of the latest crop of counterfeits weigh correctly, and are struck with perfectly aligned dies. The fact of the matter is that some fakes, especially those manufactured with 90% silver planchets, look better than their genuine counterpart. If only it was as easy as you indicated in your post, we would all be better off. However, if you take time to read the entire thread, you will see that the OP's coin is genuine, but with an added mint mark.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I agree 100%!

Chris

4. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

+1 So many of the new Morgan counterfeits could fool MOST collectors. The weight is accurate, and they are using a mint press, so the coin is struck, not cast. They have a great chemical aging process, so raw Morgans are probably the riskiest market to get into. Any noob that buys a raw Morgan is making a huge mistake--get the slab so you can be assured it is genuine, at least. Most of the experienced Morgan people around here can buy raw, and know what they're getting--Chris, myself, Doug, "vette, etc can trust their instincts. Anybody fairly new to the Morgan series is making a financial mistake by buying raw.

5. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I don't know if it's a fake it's a darn good one . That said I haven't compared it to a real one , or checked the diagnostics but just by the pics it can be real .

That said , I have Trade dollar I bought off of someone here when I just joined , weight and everything is correct . I took it to Tom Delorey and even he couldn't tell without further testing if it was a fake . I've shown it to numerous TD collectors who told me it's real . The only way I'll find out is to submit it to one of the tpgs . The Chinese have gotten quite good at their high end fakes .

Draft saved Draft deleted