1889-CC morgan Smart purchase or REALLY BAD one.

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by ROB OZ, Jan 6, 2013.

1. ROB OZ

ROB OZ New Member

Well said Lucky Cuss.... I've got enough of this guys ad that I would think would be enough to can his (insert profanity here)... I even started a different email account solely for this purpose.

1) I've got him lying on multiple account about this whole deal. He stated in this other email that I started saying he sold it for X amount and that price he stated is obviously false. I know the true price paid cause "I" actually bought it... He didn't know he was talking to me. HAHA.

2) Here's a breakdown of the coins he's had to date

- At least 4-5 89cc's which is pure BULL.
    - An 1895 P Morgan
    - An 1893 S Morgan which at one point was slabbed, but now is magically out of it's slab
    - 1792 Disme
    - 1937 3 Legged buffalo
    - 1824 Large Cent

I'm pretty sure there's others I may have missed... But COME ON... That's one heck of a list of coins to have... Oh and you know what he said about the Disme.. I quote, "I was told this coin could be worth $500, what do you think?" REALLY? That thing alone, if real, is $125K.

Cops pretty much said well he didn't state it was fake or admitted to it being fake.

That's a JOKE. So apparently he actually has to state he JACKED me? Ridiculous.

I did find this on ANACS website under counterfeit coins....

I might have to call em out on this and see what they say... I like the part about having the previous owner return the purchase price to the buyer.

All I can say is, this sad excuse for a human being messed with the wrong guy. I will pursue this till the bitter end.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Actually, I am pretty sure counterfeiting is solely federal. The Secret Service may be te only way to get him taken care of.

4. ROB OZ

ROB OZ New Member

Sounds about right. I called my local FBI field office and spoke with an operator, she stated I believe that's a secret service matter and gave me their number. So I called the Secret Service and spoke with the lady there and she said no that's not their thing it's an FBI matter. So I called the FBI back and told the operator what the Secret Service told me. She was surprised that the FBI handled this type of matter. I got tired of playing phone tag. Eventually I'm going to call back and speak with an FBI field officer. Until then I wait for my coin to be sent back with information.

5. Taribor

Taribor Don't know what I don't Know

If you want a free educated opinion, take a copy of the ads from craigslist, cost analysis, and the coin itself along with the altered identifiers, in person, to your local USSS office and ask to speak with an agent, and walk him/her through the process of what you have.

Another option would be HSI (formerly ICE) - if the coin is coming in from China/overseas, they would have a solid nexus, and they are more 'street level' and USSS and certainly more so than FBI.

Not too hard to run an undercover op off a suspected-fraudulent CL ad, it is done all the time. The key is to raise their interest, and you do that by high dollar amounts.

Hotline complaints get taken by random people and the paperwork can get routed through food chain a mile long, before hitting the desk of a random agent with a huge caseload and no background to your story. Go in person and explain what you have.

6. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

A Virtual Impossible Task To "Motivate" Prosecutorial Government Employees

Unless one has "run the gauntlet" of motivational efforts to indite a criminal, it's seemingly virtually impossible to explain so that a layman would understand. Although laws abound to "protect the victims", as is the case with firearms, government officials generally are the problem, not lack of legislation. The following link of a current situation where Donald E. Oswald, who was the special agent in charge of the FBI's Minneapolis office , having experienced extreme frustration with prosecutorial personnel before retirement, knew that although virtually impossible to achieve justice, he had to "tell the truth".

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2013/02/01/Ex-FBI-official-attacks-ATF-nominee/UPI-33961359758641/

Unless evidence is criminal without any doubt, with multiple incidents, having numerous complainants/victims, of a high profile outcome, outcomes similar to "The Bernie Madoff story", et al, are seldom realized.

Our state is fortunate to have one of the finest Attorney Generals in the country, knowing that her objective efforts are often understood by the judiciary, and has initiated/accomplished abnormal prosecution. However, there is a unusual bond between government employees that precludes accusing employees of like ilk.

Just my experienced opinion. :thumb:

7. ROB OZ

ROB OZ New Member

I'd like to take this time to state my displeasurement with ANACS. So they got the coin and it's gone through the process. So now I wait for them to send it back. I stated I'd like an official letter stating their finding. They said it will be included with the coin when I receive it back....

So now my reason to being displeased or lack of a better word.

They acquired it Friday. I have the ability to check the progress of the process. So along comes Monday and I log in to their site to see if there's any update. None yet but under shipping it states shipped 2/5.... How could it have ship 2/5 if Monday was the 4th? So after the N9 showed up in the progress I googled what N9 meant. It basically means (altered coin, not genuine, questionable authenticity, etc). I called and asked to make sure they sand me a letter stating their findings so if need be I could use it as an official document in court. So then I'm waiting as their site says Carrier - Fed Ex and Tracking - Finalizing. Wednesday (the 6th) I call and speak with someone and ask what's up... I was told the coin was shipped and if it wasn't it would be that afternoon. So then I check today and same thing... Carrier - Fed Ex and Tracking - Finalizing... So now I'm getting mad. I called again and asked what is going on. Was told that it shipped VIA USPS yesterday morning and was given a tracking number. My break at work was ending so I was heading in the door and I get an email... Basically it stated blah blah blah, shipped via FED EX and stated the same tracking number. Not even 2 minutes before that on the phone I was told UPSP now I get an EMAIL stating FED EX! Now I'm livid. I get home and call a FED EX location near ANACS and ask them to get some clarification... It's not a FED EX number, but a USPS. So I proceed to call an 800 number for the USPS. Guy stated there's nothing in the system and if I don't get anything back within 15 days I can file a claim. A lot of good that does me when I NEED THE COIN and PROOF NOW!!!!!!! This is ridiculous and very unprofessional on ANACS end especially since I sent it EXPRESS mail and they had it in a day and a half. So they're gonna apparently send it SNAIL MAIL, even after how much I stressed the importance of getting this thing back ASAP. Unbelievable.

8. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

People are not in the habit of doing anything out of the ordinary. So your special requests go ignored because it involves more work on their part. And since no one you spoke to is actually going to do the grunge work, their promises go unfulfilled. It works that way many times in all business.

9. pocketdealer

pocketdealer New Member

Why don't you weigh it out in grams?

10. pocketdealer

pocketdealer New Member

11. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Did you read the entire thread?

12. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Any updates on the outcome of the original coin?

13. billpocz

billpocz Amazed by Peace Dollars

ROB OZ, thanks for 'hanging in there' during a far too "thick" thread!!

Thanks for proving the person that was so sure that 'the noob will never be back' wrong. I for one learned a lot from this thread.

Bill

14. lakota13

lakota13 New Member

i would drop this coin on the counter right now if it has a odd sound that does not sound like silver. (im sure you know what silver sounds like when you drop it on a counter or table) if its like a thud you got a counterfeit! the reverse looks alot like those one i seen on feebay that are made in china.

15. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Why don't you read the entire thread before making a ridiculous statement like that?

16. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

There are many other non-destructive ways to authenticate a coin than slapping it onto a counter. ;)

17. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Problem is, it is a real silver dollar with an added MM. In other words, it will ring just exactly like silver.

18. coins776

coins776 no title

i want to say that you should ask the seller for a refund. when the coin is turned over does the obverse and reverse of the coin line up equal or is it slightly off center? if it is off center that is one of the signs of a fake morgan dollar.

19. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'm not quite sure what you mean. If you are referring the the slant of the eagle with one wingtip closer to the rim than the other, that is normal. If I'm off base, then you will have to clarify what you mean.

Chris

20. coins776

coins776 no title

hold the coin with the obverse towards you, see the photo the photo of the morgan obverse that i have uploaded here. and then flip the coin over so that you are looking at the reverse of the coin. the coin should look centered on the reverse, see the photo of the morgan reverse i have uploaded here. it should look like this photo if it is genuine. real morgans are also heavier than the fake ones, this is something that you can tell just by comparing the weight of a real morgan with the coin in question. 1881 o morgan dollar 1.jpg 1881 o morgan dollar 2.jpg

21. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Chris I think he's referring to a rotated die

Draft saved Draft deleted