1889-CC morgan Smart purchase or REALLY BAD one.

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by ROB OZ, Jan 6, 2013.

1. ROB OZ

ROB OZ New Member

The title pretty much says it all. Took a gamble and bought an 1889-CC morgan. It looks authentic but I'm no expert. So I'd like to hear what you think. REAL or FAKE?

7_zps5ef20633.jpg

8_zps41116cd7.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Uh, well...it's got rather a cast look to it, as opposed to struck.

But I'll defer to the experts.

4. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

I would not buy that coin ungraded by a tpg

5. pumpkinpie

pumpkinpie what is this I don*t even

It appears to have the dead, lifeless look of a cast coin. How much does it weigh?

6. ROB OZ

ROB OZ New Member

On my el cheapo scale, 27 grams. It's not magnetic and is the right diameter.

7. lonegunlawyer

lonegunlawyer Numismatist Esq.

Where did you buy it?

8. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

I hate to say it, but i'm 90% sure it's fake.

9. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

Can't say, but unless you can see this in hand before purchasing, this is the type of year/mm that you want slabbed by a TPG

10. lonegunlawyer

Also, I normally do not ask this outright, but how much did you pay for it?

11. ROB OZ

ROB OZ New Member

You won't like the answer but... Craigslist. Now don't let that sway you. I may be novice but do have a brain in my head. With that being said. I met a coin guy in my local area that I know and took him with me to go check it out. He s[ent about 20 or so minutes examining it and in the end he said he believes it to be real. Though I know there's a chance it could be one of the Chinese counterfeits... If that's the case then it's a superb one. He didn't see anything that would lead him to believe the mint mark was added. The area around the "CC" looked untouched. As far as the cast look. It's not there in person. I has the cartwheel affect unlike that dull flat reflection a cast coin would have.

12. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

Send it in to PCGS/NGC and see what happens.

13. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

I have had cast morgan dollars before in my possession (stamped copy of course). The silver/grey around the feathers on the reverse look just like mine.

14. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Before you consider sending it in for authentication, compare it with this article on authenticating the 1889-CC.

http://www.anacs.com/contentPages/ShowArticle.aspx?ID=18

It's bad enough that you bought a very expensive key date that is uncertified (you have to ask yourself why isn't it certified before you pull the trigger) but off of Crookslist? No! No! No! You need to learn more before you start buying expensive coins.

Chris

15. lonegunlawyer

+1 This is the kind of coin you send in for grading. If it comes back graded or even details, then great.

Again, how much did you pay for it?

16. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

Agree big time!

17. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

It is fake. Reverse lettering extremely crude. Eagle is out of proportion, and mint mark looks nothing like real Carson City. Why even think of buying a raw key like that. Very ad purchase--99% likely fake. Doesn't even look like a decent fake.

18. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

Honestly, if that's a cast, it's one heck of a good one... but when something seems too good to be true, it usually is. ;)

I'd like to hear how the diagnostic testing goes from the link Chris has provided.

19. lonegunlawyer

However, if you only spent $100, I don't know if I would spend the extra $30 to get it graded seeing the odds are you are in possession of something other than a 1889 CC.

Again, the big question, how much did you pay for it?

20. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

That's what i was thinking, but then again morgans really aren't my forte

21. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Folks-- it is very crude looking. The reverse is a terrible job. The obverse is slightly better, but the proportions of the devices are distorted. No chance of being real.

Draft saved Draft deleted