1888 Proof Set

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Santinidollar, Dec 7, 2021.

1. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

The originator of the post was stating that he built a proof set by purchasing each coin separately.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

I'm really diggin that dime, the half ain't too shabby either, actually the whole set is cool. Wonder if there are records of the US presenting a set of these to a royalty somewhere? It would be cool to know if there was an identical set in a museum somewhere in the world.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
    Santinidollar likes this.
  4. AZSteve

AZSteve Well-Known Member

Impressive!

5. Long Beard

Long Beard Well-Known Member

Impressive. Especially with a consistency on grade and eye appeal. I myself am contemplating an 1876 proof set (The Centennial of the United States), working on a plan as to a grade range and survival population before a challenging undertaking. There are some nice cameos out there, but how they'd look against non-cameo concerns me. Over all cost is another factor. So congratulations on assembling that date set!

6. KeyHunter

KeyHunter Supporter! Supporter

Congratulations on a simply jaw-dropping and prestige-quality set. Hat's off to your collection decision, drive, and perseverance assembling such a breathtaking date-set of proofs.

PS. Yea, those gosh darned Morgans can lead the collector down the dark path into all kinds of obsession and mischief. ;)

7. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

I'm aware. The mint made presentation sets as early as the 1804 sets, but I'm curious how proofs were packaged, marketed, & made available to the public in the 19th century.

8. BurrosCoins

BurrosCoins Well-Known Member

Very nice set. Congratulations.

Draft saved Draft deleted